• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

weak resale market?

Tom Bowers

There's a limited market for quality jackets and most of us have relatively little spare cash since we already spent for the jackets we have

If you buy from a mfgr and it's the wrong size you can normally exchange it for a different size

If you buy a pre-worn one, you're likely stuck with it, no matter how it fits.

traffic on the VLJ site seems down

I continually see jackets I like that aren't my size and jackets I don't like that would fit me fine, I just don't post it

Dany McDonald

it's a buyer market for now...

Tom you are right, no one wants to be stuck with a jacket...especially used.

Zoomer, could it also be because waiting for a new jacket is just so incredibly fun !? The creases and breaking in are yours...

A lot of nice top tier used jackets are popping here and there, it's a buyer market for now...

That being said, I am currently looking for a new A-2 in steer and specifically Diamond Clothing Poughkeepsie A-2 in 42. It took me like 5 min to find one on the fedora lounge in size 48.... Yes I wish it was smaller ;)

D

B-Man2

Agree with all posters
I especially notice that things are not moving as quickly as they once did here on the forum, if they move at all. I get the idea and agree that people are looking for a deal, but I’ve seen several jackets ( not in my size) that I would consider deals just sit here without any takers . It wasnt like that a few years ago. I remember jackets being sold within minutes of them being listed and people arguing about who posted “I’ll take it” first.

Brettafett

With the likes of Platon's incredible Dubow offerings, Aero's 'sale' jackets, AVI LTHR's and 5 Star's jackets... Many may not want to buy a secondhand jacket for the almost the same price, often more... Tricky
That said. Depends on the jacket... Hold onto your GWs, BKs and ELCs if you can. With rising prices, these should hold much of thier value.

Also, have found that A-2s sell better, and hold better value than G-1s and M422as. Interesting...

Last edited:

Pilot

“ House “ jackets and “ decorated “ jackets are definitely more and more difficult to sell.
Originals and high end repros ( original ww2 makers) if in good size and condition... easy!

taikonaut

With repros even by the same maker, for me the characteristic of the hide would sway my decision. I would rather buy a good used repro with great looking grains than a new jacket with bland grains even for the same price.

Pilot

Lookalike a WW2 original by all details primes... yup!
“House and harlequin jackets” ... “hangar queens..”

Micawber

With repros even by the same maker, for me the characteristic of the hide would sway my decision. I would rather buy a good used repro with great looking grains than a new jacket with bland grains even for the same price.

Way too many repro's of all grades get used by the wearer for strutting around in, few get worn by people actually grafting [physical labour] as many of the originals were and so taking on any kind of character and wear without artificial input is going to take a long time. I don't consider sitting at a computer desk tapping keys, attending meetings and fielding phone calls or taking selfies grafting.

Let's face it, most people don't use these work garments as work garments.

Micawber

Yes the market for s/h repro's in certain countries is dull. Originals, if priced sensibly will always be in demand.

Factor in the state of some economies and the fact that some nations impose eye watering import fees and taxes plus carrier handling charges and the cost can approach a 1/3 of the purchase price. I refuse to source new, s/h or original garments that originated in other countries from Japan, nor will I sell there ...but that's just me.

Brettafett

Also consider this... Fewer 'newbies' arrive at this 'interest'/ bobby today as before perhaps. And in relation to other casual/ sport jackets found in stores, these leather 'bomber' jackets are way too overpriced for the average Joe on the street, who has no serious interest or only a peripheral one, at that.
When you are accustomed to this: Levi's The Trucker Denim Jacket for example, well under £100, a North Face Down jacket under £150 and a Superdry Hero Racer jacket at £200...
Then an Eastman A-2 at £1000 is ludicrous. Even an AVI LTHR Bronco at circa £320 is crazy!
Bottom line... This interest/ hobby and these flight jackets are niche. Small market with a smaller secondhand market. But I recon that secondhand market is/ will grow, at least be sustained... simply because of the rising prices of 'new' jackets and the lack of availability/ wearability of originals.

Brettafett

Lookalike a WW2 original by all details primes... yup! “House and harlequin jackets” ... “hangar queens..”
If you are lucky enough to find and be able to afford a good WW2 original, then hell ye... I'd cough up and store. But not wear... at least not often... Good investment, absolutely... if thats what you're after. I for one, don't want to collect originals, I want to wear my decent original-maker repros. I want to add my own wear-&-wear. Every crease and scuff, a testament to my own adventures wearing them.
In an ideal world, I'd have one collectible original and then a couple of decent repros to wear the hell out of... Anyone with a great original size 4 A-22, let me know...:rolleyes:

Pilot

Wearing all my originals...incl. WW2 A-2´s and others....but not every day... agreed....and mentioned here many times already...
All the repro´s...except the prime makers ones which IMHO are worth keeping and hearding... but thx... I have had it...No more in that market since somehow a never ending story....Leave this one to our friends and experts of repros good and not so good ones...I am out of repros....

For me originals only...and yes I wear and tear them...and I honor, value, suscribe and pay a lot of respect to and for them .

BTW: going back to the original thread subject....offered 3 original WWII traceable named jackets all in great original cond. for a real market price...the only response was... as Ken would say...tyre kicking...but fine and OK with me and a lot of other (ex) here...not sure wherer the right place or not for such items...

Last edited:

taikonaut

Way too many repro's of all grades get used by the wearer for strutting around in, few get worn by people actually grafting [physical labour] as many of the originals were and so taking on any kind of character and wear without artificial input is going to take a long time. I don't consider sitting at a computer desk tapping keys, attending meetings and fielding phone calls or taking selfies grafting.

Let's face it, most people don't use these work garments as work garments.

Was'nt refering to jackets that gone through the graft to develop characteristic because then I be buying a well worn repro. What I meant "good used" is the jacket still in good condition, ie not knackered but has interesting grain like this one

https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...e-a2-44-long-amazing-grain.22567/#post-232776