weak resale market?

Discussion in 'General Flight Jacket Discussion' started by zoomer, Apr 2, 2019.

1. taikonaut

taikonaut Active Member

Was'nt refering to jackets that gone through the graft to develop characteristic because then I be buying a well worn repro. What I meant "good used" is the jacket still in good condition, ie not knackered but has interesting grain like this one

https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...e-a2-44-long-amazing-grain.22567/#post-232776

Dany McDonald likes this.
  2. Micawber

Micawber Well-Known Member

I was not referring to knackered jackets.

3. Stony

Stony Well-Known Member

From an "original" standpoint and jackets that are "wearers", I stand by leather navy jackets. They are more user friendly than an A-2, stand up to the test of time longer and there are more of them out there as they've been produced for over 30 years as a military issue jacket.

A-2s are generally more "styling" than navy jackets, but IMO are not as comfortable to wear and not as functional. I'm not going to spend over $1,000 on a repro navy jacket when I can get a WWII one for easily half the price. Of course, I'm talking about a plain one, not one with patches.

They're already broken in, and even with compromised knits, are a better looking jacket and have the patina I'm looking for without waiting years to get that out of a repro.

These plain and original navy jackets are not going into a museum or are going to be the centerpiece of most collections, so wearing them is not hurting their historical value.

Micawber, Pilot and Brettafett like this.
  4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Happy to buy a WW2 original wearable unmessed leather USN flying jacket for 1000 ++ Euro ( 1200 US$ approx.) in 44” or 46”...
    Please help. Thx.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  5. Dany McDonald

Dany McDonald Active Member

There are still good deals to find on ebay for USN flight jacket, WW2 to korean war era...

A-2 are hard to find and pricey unless you go for a restoration project A-2.

I've noticed that a lot of top tier second hand A-2's and G1's are getting available on forums here and there and prices are slowly going down...

The market will saturate itself (perhaps it's already), because it's so niche (fewer buyers) and prices are increasing way faster than the average income (weaker buying power).

The lower tier makers are also getting a lot of the market and attention. Wonder how their jackets will do in the second hand market?

Now let's talk about those originals B-10 and B-15 at $$$$, there's a solid return on investment!

D

Micawber and Pilot like this.
  6. Stony

Stony Well-Known Member

I saw two B-10s for sale at the SoS and they were both over $1,000. Neither one was anything to scream about.

Pilot likes this.
  7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

must have been in a battered condition and a children size...
    Very recently , sold two WW2 unmessed B-10’s ( one to a member here) on the spot...and for much more...but a wearable size 40” and 42”.
    Good wearable unmessed WWII B-10’s are the most wanted and sought after original WW2 flying jackets nowadays....on the collectors market...
    But must be all original...and pit to pit min. 21”-22”.
    My humble experience with all original unmessed wearable B-10’s

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  8. zoomer

zoomer Well-Known Member

A few years back, used sellers began leaving out certain measurements, such as front (zipper) length.
    So maybe it got harder to sell the jackets with too much info given!!