• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watches to wear with your flight jackets...

rob20uk

Hi Guys,

as I hi-jacked a thread over at the "General discussion" section and posted pitures of my watch in the "What jacket are you wearing today?" thread, I thought it might be cool to start a separate thread for watches here.

I have been interested in mechanical watches for decades now and like to combine them with my flight jackets or the other vintage-inspired clothing I wear.

Maybe just start right into it. This is my wearer today:

speedy.jpg

'68 pre-moon Speedmaster

Best regards,

Ties
You can't go wrong with a Speedmaster. I have one and it's my go to watch.

MauldinFan

20220106_182558-01.jpeg

This is a pretty good quartz copy of the Ordnance watch, licensed for GI Joe for all things, around 2000.
They're pretty rare, but I found another new in the box, for the day when this one craps out. Thus is what I wear at displays.

ties70

Today: Black Invicta homage to the first 1953 production Submariner model.

Roughly USD 120, reliable Seiko NH35 inside and best: Made in Malaysia... not China.

IMG_20220114_1306192~2.jpg

Kermit3D

Just put it for sale in a JP auction house…
Maybe also interesting for a WWII military watch-appreciator here…
MINT real MINT …PRISTINE…almost unworn Wwii Bulova A-11 in its High ranking officer show case…
Works strong and accurate…just oiled and serviced.
Maybe an investor hereView attachment 72813View attachment 72814View attachment 72815View attachment 72816View attachment 72817 could be interested…
PM from serious buyers are always welcome.
Thankyou for watching.

Wonderful !
It's a sterling silver watch, isn't it ?
The box is incredible.

s4rmark

Hi all,
i have been looking on the net at Elgin and Bulova A-11 watches. Now can anyone post up some images of what I should be looking for in regards to originality? I don’t want to end up with a “ Bitsa”.
many thanks.

Kermit3D

Here is mine. A Bulova A-11 from 1943. Most are chrome plated brass but some are sterling silver (like this one).
It's all original except for the crown which matches the chrome brass models (from what I've read, there should be a silver crown on mine).

Spitfireace

nice. Mine is a 42 Waltham. I got it running well, but not too long ago I was winding it for the day, and the mainspring snapped. It's all original, except for the crystal. I now leave it in the drawer. Want to fix it.

Pilot

Hi all,
i have been looking on the net at Elgin and Bulova A-11 watches. Now can anyone post up some images of what I should be looking for in regards to originality? I don’t want to end up with a “ Bitsa”.
many thanks.
For watches and cars there are two ways of investments…
Buy cheap pay a lot ( not counting the hassles ) to keep it original and running safely and collectable… or…
Pay for the best right on buying and avoid the constant bothering and hassles …
By experience:
No real unmessed, fully legit A-11, hacking issued prior 1945 below 600Euro … (plus Sterling case, plus box, plus shipping…plus etc.)
Crapbay is full of „the others“.

Spitfireace

I've got a Seiko vintage watch that needs attention. It was a three second fast a day watch. From Ebay Japan. Very good watch. King Seiko. On par with the Seiko Grand. 1974.

Kermit3D

For watches and cars there are two ways of investments…
Buy cheap pay a lot ( not counting the hassles ) to keep it original and running safely and collectable… or…
Pay for the best right on buying and avoid the constant bothering and hassles …
By experience:
No real unmessed, fully legit A-11, hacking issued prior 1945 below 600Euro … (plus Sterling case, plus box, plus shipping…plus etc.)
Crapbay is full of „the others“.

This is often true, but not always.
Paying a lot of money is unfortunately not a guarantee of quality.

Let's say it's especially true when you don't know the field well.

For example, I spent 5 years looking for a Datsun 240z, I now know this car by heart, I know each of its weaknesses and I know exactly what to inspect.
I finally found one for 1/4 of the price that some dealers ask (in exceptional condition).
You have to know the product perfectly, have patience and a little luck. ;)

Kermit3D

Can highly recommend this one…
Did a lot of trading with him.

Magnificent watch sales website !
What a collection... o_O

KeepmflyinTX

AA5D0081-45BF-43A4-BB1B-AB58558E1FC5.jpeg
1711D730-49DA-4AAD-9B7A-0477D19A4989.jpeg
Didn’t know that ;)
I always thought he flew in the Great War for the USAAC looking for the Red Baron :D
View attachment 64707
[/QUOTE]

B-Man2, He flew in The Great War and to the moon. That dude was certainly an over achiever! For fun, I wear this Timex Flying Ace. It’s a mechanical watch which usually gets a smile and a few laughs. The watch is basically a 1960’s Marlin reissue.

Last edited:

Spitfireace

My A-11 is untouched. It was fine for a couple years, but then the spring snapped. So you can not fault a watch that is seventy plus years old. I will keep it running eventually. But it is not a priority. I have other watches to look out for. I do not have lots of watches. As that is a major commitment of stuff you will not wear any way.