• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watches to wear with your flight jackets...

Flightengineer

They are beautiful chronographs, full of history.
Do you have pictures of yours?

My father also met Alexei Leonov in 1965, just after the cosmonaut did his first EVA. I have an autograph from him.

I also admire Leonov very much. In addition to his incredible abilities as a cosmonaut, he was an artist.

I don't have a photo here, they are in my mother's house.
I don't wear them, I have other preferences in watches, some of mine are in this thread. Yes, he was a good artist, although I don't really like his paintings. I was at a meeting with him 3 years ago.

Last edited:

Saint-ex

Seiko SARG009

D41EF165-40D8-4DC8-978E-1D9535B24EB3.jpeg

LJDRVR

That’s the Hamilton I bought my son-in-law as a gift for getting his enlisted wings. I was worried that being his generation he wouldn’t wear it, but he actually enjoys using it.

I‘m tickled to death he’s wearing a traditional aviator’s watch while working in the back of a 707, the first airliner I ever rode in, and the direct counterpart from the past to the jet I fly for a living now. (757/767)

Some things in the world just fit. I’m looking forward to seeing him in his A-2 next time I visit.

blackrat2

Issued in year 2000 CWC and NOS Aussi made Waterborne strap...

Attachments

• C03E5849-BA19-47D0-B8A5-82CB7F802C87.jpeg
    C03E5849-BA19-47D0-B8A5-82CB7F802C87.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 174
  • CB3EA6C4-4A6E-44DB-9BC0-390D486DD1D3.jpeg
    CB3EA6C4-4A6E-44DB-9BC0-390D486DD1D3.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 182

Flightengineer

I've seen those advertised, they have various designs, that one looks pretty cool, a bit more understated than some of them.

Yes, AVI-8 is positioning itself as a British company, although of course production is likely in China. But the design is interesting, there are several of their official dealers and one I remember had a tent at one air show and then I tried many of them. I also liked the Harrier and Lancaster series.
But these that I now got I like with restrained minimalism. I had too many chronographs in my life ...it was fun but it turned out that I just need to know what time it is and not the time of sunset at an airport on the other side of the world.

Bombing IP

Very much like a cockpit gauge straight to the point with the information ,reminds me of the Bell & Ross square watch .I like it and I have seen the Harrier one ,that the one I would go for because I did my apprenticeship at Hawker Siddeley In Kingston and worked on the Harriers in production .Long gone now the site had houses built where the factory was .

Jeff
index.jpg

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Very much like a cockpit gauge straight to the point with the information ,reminds me of the Bell & Ross square watch .I like it and I have seen the Harrier one ,that the one I would go for because I did my apprenticeship at Hawker Siddeley In Kingston and worked on the Harriers in production .Long gone now the site houses built where the factory was .

Jeff

Jeff that's cool. HS! Without risking hijacking this thread, I want to say that I wrote an essay about Sea Harrier at the institute when I was studying to be an aviation engineer. We specialized in vertical takeoff aircraft (Yak-38 upgrades), or rather, control systems for rotary nozzles. Harrier is a great bird and it's good that you worked with her. It is a pity that they no longer fly. Or it seems that only in Spane remained if I don't confuse anything.

Flightengineer

The Harrier had one engine four vectored thrust nozzles ,vert short stubby wing span and a massive lead weight at the aft of the tail to change the center of gravity ,no fly by wire then . One of the jobs we had was to take the Aden Cannon pods and affix them to a secured fixture and set them up with electric loom to test fire them into the sand pits .The Aden cannon shot a 30mm round at 3150 rounds a minutes ,a far cry from the 303 the Hurricanes used .The round in the Aden cannon were fired electronically .Every Aden pod sent out with a Harrier was a refurbished unit the Navy and the Airforce di not buy new ones ? why I do not know .

BIP

Need new thread in flight deck section :)