• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watches to wear with your flight jackets...

Saint-ex

It’s a Tropic strap.

I have one with my Longines diver:

1599287677929.png

dinomartino1

Repro 1963 Chinese airforce chronograph.
ST1901 Seagull Movement
38mm with 18mm lugs
Acrylic crystal.

The Seagull 1963 19 or 21 jewels, Fabrique d’Ébauches S.A. (ESA) sold its tooling for the Venus 175 column wheel chronograph movements to China in 1958, which then evolved into the ST19 movement used today.
Thomas Leung of Red Star/Time King Industrial Company Limited produced the first replicas.

While Thomas Leung was working for Tsinlien Seagull he saw the original worn by the Sea-Gull executive, and offered a new strap.
Mr. Leung took the original back to the owner and had Tsinlien build 19 re-issues, using the Tianjin Sea-Gull 1901 movement that was the first run.
The second run was also while working at Tsinlien, 180 watches but limited edition, after that, Mr. Leung realized the watch was becoming famous and left for his own business in 2010, using his own suppliers and facilities for some parts and still buying Tianjin Sea-Gull movements from Tianjin Sea-Gull with Tianjin Sea-Gull's approval.
Tianjin Sea-Gull started making a version much later than Tsinlein or Mr. Leung. So many people enquired with Tianjin Sea-Gull asking how do we get Sea-Gull 1963 watches that Tianjin Sea-Gull decided there was enough market for them to produce them directly, they waited till demand required much larger production runs.

On aliexpress there are now different companies making these, Chinese copies of Chinese watches, they generally have the same sized hands on both the sub dials whereas the one on the right should be half sized.
The offilal seagull watch is pricey, this is the Thomas Leung Red star version which is on sale on aliexpress for $149 with free shipping an amazing price for a mechanical chronograph, mine with an acrylic crystal is in the post

H0e20c1705f8547d392264074f6f7894en-2.jpg

Ha0982ca97adc4c37951eaf8fca03a454V.jpg

Hd345aff93ff84e96a8a44956cd4310a7w.jpg

Hf661991a7f3f45928bd9be8e9db1ceebO.jpg

Hb42edb4ec4254875a39954921b91eaa8A.jpg

H6a5d66de596c4f2f84daf3fccf4095c0t.jpg

Last edited:

Ed Rooney

Gotta love a $50, 200m ISO dive watch. I’ve been thinking of getting the blue one, but then I have to remind myself not to buy any more dive watches.

Pilot

Agree... but ISO?...
Please feel free to check what is ISO...
For diving, watches, pressure testing... not relevant... The Chinese fakers.. love ISO though... especially for their baby food, baby food rubber etc.. a lot got hanged in China... because of saying “ISO” ...

Ed Rooney

Does Casio test their watches? Doubtful at that price, but they probably could pass.

From Wikipedia - The standards and features for diving watches are regulated by the ISO 6425 – Divers' watches international standard. This standard was introduced in 1996. ISO 6425 defines such watches as: A watch designed to withstand diving in water at depths of at least 100 m and possessing a system to control the time. Diving watches are tested in static or still water under 125% of the rated (water) pressure, thus a watch with a 200-metre rating will be water resistant if it is stationary and under 250 metres of static water. ISO 6425 testing of the water resistance or water-tightness and resistance at a water overpressure as it is officially defined is fundamentally different from non-dive watches, because every single watch has to be tested. Testing diving watches for ISO 6425 compliance is voluntary and involves costs, so not every manufacturer present their watches for certification according to this standard.

ISO 6425 testing of a diver's watch consists of:

Reliability under water. The watches under test shall be immersed in water to a depth of 30±2 cm for 50 hours at 18 to 25 °C and all the mechanisms shall still function correctly. The condensation test shall be carried out before and after this test to ensure that the result is related to the above test.
Condensation test. The watch shall be placed on a heated plate at a temperature between 40 and 45 °C until the watch has reached the temperature of the heated plate (in practice, a heating time of 10 minutes to 20 minutes, depending on the type of watch, will be sufficient). A drop of water, at a temperature of 18 to 25 °C shall be placed on the glass of the watch. After about 1 minute, the glass shall be wiped with a dry rag. Any watch which has condensation on the interior surface of the glass shall be eliminated.
Resistance of crowns and other setting devices to an external force. The watches under test shall be subjected to an overpressure in water of 125% of the rated pressure for 10 minutes and to an external force of 5 N perpendicular to the crown and pusher buttons (if any). The condensation test shall be carried out before and after this test to ensure that the result is related to the above test.
Water-tightness and resistance at a water overpressure. The watches under test shall be immersed in water contained in a suitable vessel. Then an overpressure of 125% of the rated pressure shall be applied within 1 minute and maintained for 2 hours. Subsequently, the overpressure shall be reduced to 0.3 bar within 1 minute and maintained at this pressure for 1 hour. The watches shall then be removed from the water and dried with a rag. No evidence of water intrusion or condensation is allowed.
Resistance to thermal shock. Immersion of the watch in 30±2 cm of water at the following temperatures for 10 minutes each, 40 °C, 5 °C and 40 °C again. The time of transition from one immersion to the other shall not exceed 1 minute. No evidence of water intrusion or condensation is allowed.
An optional test originating from the ISO 2281 tests (but not required for obtaining ISO 6425 approval) is exposing the watch to an overpressure of 200 kPa. The watch shall show no air-flow exceeding 50 μg/min.
Except the thermal shock resistance test all further ISO 6425 testing should be conducted at 18 to 25 °C temperature. Regarding pressure ISO 6425 defines: 1 bar = 105 Pa = 105 N/m2. The required 125% test pressure provides a safety margin against dynamic pressure increase events, water density variations (seawater is 2% to 5% denser than freshwater) and degradation of the seals.

London Cabbie

There are a lot of reviews on YouTube for the Casio MDV 106-1av and the Timex Expedition nearly all positive. That and the price. Watches done.

Flightengineer

Here are my two Russian cosmonaut chronographs :
- The Poljot is from 1968
- The "Стрела" is from 1963 (need repairs), the same chronograph worn by Alexei Leonov during the first spacewalk.

View attachment 43935

The 3017 movement with column wheels :

View attachment 43936

strela-sekonda-chronograph-montage-1.jpg

Nice watch. My father has the same and I keep them as a memory of him.
It's a pity, a year ago Leonov flew away in his last flight. He was is an amazing person - very friendly and with a great sense of humor, I had the good fortune to talk to him once.

Kermit3D

Nice watch. My father has the same and I keep them as a memory of him.
It's a pity, a year ago Leonov flew away in his last flight. He was is an amazing person - very friendly and with a great sense of humor, I had the good fortune to talk to him once.

They are beautiful chronographs, full of history.
Do you have pictures of yours?

My father also met Alexei Leonov in 1965, just after the cosmonaut did his first EVA. I have an autograph from him.

I also admire Leonov very much. In addition to his incredible abilities as a cosmonaut, he was an artist.

Members online

Latest posts