• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watches to wear with your flight jackets...

Earloffunk

Sinn 757 on 37J1:

8C0823E7-9A6C-483E-873B-226FA6BC4641_1_201_a.jpeg

ties70

@Earloffunk ,

Sinn does make some awesome watches!
Their 103 ST is still one of may favorite models.. I had a Chronosport model 40 some years ago, pretty much the same watch, but made by Helmut Sinn's "new" company Guinand / Chronosport after he sold the SINN brand and company.

This guy retired from the watches business at the age of 98 (!), and died in 2018 at the age of 102... amazing character.

My watch today:

Speedy.jpg

zoomer

The USAAC Type A-7 Avigation Hack Watch, first issued in 1934, was the predecessor to the A-11. This very large watch - made in either 49mm or 51mm cases, big as a railroader's pocket watch - had the unusual feature of a 40° tilt to the face and stem, so it could be read easily without taking the left hand from aircraft controls, and hacked with the right hand.

Only three firms, all Swiss, made the A-7, whose specifications ran to 7 pages. Owing to the watch's size and exacting specs, no civilian versions appeared at the time.

This original procurement was from Gallet.

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 1.32.55 PM.png

Longines also made the A-7 and today reproduces several very expensive versions, including some with black dials. These are 44mm cased to be more wrist wearable.

Longines-Avigation-Type-A-7-1935-Review-4.jpg

An original 51mm Longines from 1935. Unlike the repro, no date window, and not automatic. Each A-7 had a serial number, like every Army aircraft (this one is 35-56). And they were not procured in much greater numbers than planes in those years!

3_vintage-longines-avigation-A7-pilots-chronograph-antiquorum.jpg

A.R. & J.E. Meylan was a New York importer of Swiss stopwatches and chronographs. This A-7 is No. 37-77.

1_Screenshot-2019-08-26-at-07.19.38.png
Screenshot-2019-08-26-at-07.32.46.png

Last edited:

Geeboo

I don't own this watch. Just post to share this beautiful Rodium plated C.18.72 based movt
"Rare Longines Avigation U.S. Hack wristwatch"
A rare and important example of the Longines A7 Avigation, manufactured to USAAC specification 27748, supplied to Wittnauer USA circa 1935 and one of only 175 ordered.
This watch is sold for
£22,000

Longines.jpg

B-Man2

Great watch.... For several years most here in the US were hooked on Rolex’s but I’ve always thought that Omega made a better watch. It just didn’t have the big advertising budget behind it the way Rolex did. After I had traveled to Europe a few times I found that Omega was more prominent on that continent. At least it seems that way.

bazelot

Great watch.... For several years most here in the US were hooked on Rolex’s but I’ve always thought that Omega made a better watch. It just didn’t have the big advertising budget behind it the way Rolex did. After I had traveled to Europe a few times I found that Omega was more prominent on that continent. At least it seems that way.
Yes Rolex is way overrated. My boss has one and he keeps complaining about the inaccuracy of the damn thing. After his $900 Rolex Service the watch was loosing almost a minute a day and according to them it was perfectly normal. It took me 6 months with my Chronograph Seamaster (which was serviced at around the same time and has more complications) to loose a full minute. I own 3 Omegas and I will never go to Rolex. The one above has never been serviced since i have owned it (it is a 1997) and it is keeping spot on time. They are just beautiful watches and built like a tank (in a good way)

Pilot

Sorry to disagree. Both brands are producing great watches. I own both brands and posted them here several times...Omega is a mass production item and depresses in value after the first second you wear it...Every Rolex never get sold for less than it costs you when buying it...a real investment with return when selling... by all means. Rolex is an investment and “tool watch” Omega..nice to have and use...but looses a lot of its initial buying price very fast ( except some special models...but only when aging in perfect condition).
I ordered two R. Daytona steel/steel one black one white face...Waiting time if ordered from the Rolex dealer and only paying the price list price...4 years...Still 1 year to go...Buying them on the “ grey market “ brand new full set with no waiting time..approx + 40% of what I paid...There is no Omega watch alike...Just a little example given...
Servicing..: only at the Rolex, Omega Factory...No others, no way to give it to any retailer or self proclaimed watch doctor...never ever had any issues with both brands.
Agree...costly...both...this is the way it should be...so no complain.
Last but not least...The Rolex factory services every Rolex ever made...regardless of age...Omega has no more parts nor skilled people for their watches prior the 60/70s...Here and now , yes you need one of the self proclaimed watch gurus ( read collectors and fans who has parts and can fix it..)...some are even ( professional) good in that.
All by experience...

Last edited:

petermack09

Hi Brice,thanks to you,I have also placed a note of interest some time ago on a black faced ss Daytona,,Gives me plenty of time to start saving.:)

Pilot

They are great watches... one can get one right away on chrono24.de... brand new... minimum 40% higher than the price list..or wait for 4 years ( maybe a bit less now due to the actual situation).
Nothing like that from Omega...

Saint-ex

I agree @Pilot , on your analysis on the value between Rolex and Omega second hand market, just want to tone down the Rolex services...
They are also well know to change parts without customer agreement and without return the changed parts, which made many old watches lose a lot of value (A former Comex diver is still crying...).
And take a look about the XXX on the back case...
My 80's GMT Master is not going anymore to the official Rolex network for service for this reason.

Pilot

I agree @Pilot , on your analysis on the value between Rolex and Omega second hand market, just want to tone down the Rolex services...
They are also well know to change parts without customer agreement and without return the changed parts, which made many old watches lose a lot of value (A former Comex diver is still crying...).
And take a look about the XXX on the back case...
My 80's GMT Master is not going anymore to the official Rolex network for service for this reason.
Apologies if I cannot agree. I had only best experiences with the Rolex factory service. Sent them all via a Basel (Switzerland) based Rolex couriering service to Geneva...Picked the watch up in the same Rolex service.
Got all changed parts back plus a two years factory warranty on all work done.
Invoicing from 600 to 800 CHF, depending on the Model. Yes they change parts without asking...why asking anyway? they are the experts not the wearer...they offer and are reliable for a 2 years warranty.
I believe, if sent only within France or any other country ( to Rolex dealer ) it might be different. Back to factory only ( no outlet, no dealer) as above mentioned.
May I express severe doubts and with all due respect, that your actual watch maker if not a Rolex authorized dealer or service center uses original Rolex parts for your Submariner? for me, this makes it loosing value...rebuild with after market parts....
Plus it may even get worse and damaging other parts...I am no fan of such things sorry..not for my watches nor my cars nor any others..
I have an issued ( not to me) Comex 16600 and as far as I can see it only gains in value if unmessed and with all paperwork, service records, box etc...As for all...many rebuilt “ Comex’es “ on the market...Here we discuss the real thing...not the “ retrofitted “ ones.
No Omega at all, will ever be at this level, unless from (with provenance) an Astronaut or Capt. Cousteau’s or his team...(BTW, the later favored Rolex vs. all others).

Last edited:

bazelot

@Pilot, you seem to be mainly concerned about the retail value of the watch. My point was mainly for the overall reliability and built quality of the watches themselves. Rolex artificially creates a wait time for their watches because they know thta people with money will wait and pay extra to get their "Status symbol" (this is actually one of the things that turns me off Rolex's). I want my watches to be both practical and reliable. I dive, i use them for heavy mountain biking, my watches have scratches from use. I tried so many brands before and all of them crapped out at one point and there was also an issue with something. ALL my Omegas have been as reliable and accurate as i can possibly ask for. There is a reason they were picked by NASA for the space program, they had a set of stringent durability and quality requirements that only Omega met. I know a few people that own Rolex's and they pretty much all complain about the bracelet quality and the overall accuracy of their watch. I am sorry but for me this is a deal breaker. Do you have any idea how stress there is on internal movements and bracelet pins when you go downhill on a mountain bike? A LOT. I handled a few Rolex's and the first thing that shocked me was how flimsy the bracelets feel in comparison to my Omegas. An Omega bracelet feels like it is one solid piece of metal, the Rolex ones actually feel more like my Seiko's from the 80s.
Saint-Ex brought up a good point about servicing, Omega sends back everything that they replace. Losing a minute everyday after a $1000 service is not for me.
To sum it up if you want a piece of jewelery as an investment go Rolex i guess but if you want a reliable and tough instrument that you are actually going to use then go Omega. I could not care less about the artificial scarcity of the Rolex created by a manufacturer who wants to warrant their exorbitant prices. Omega may be more mass produced but there is a reason why they are used by Cousteau and his team and the space program, they are better built and more reliable (and they are also beautiful watches) and that's what I am going for.

Pilot

Thx for your comment:
1) I am not only concerned by retail values but also .
2) I still have Rolex metal bracelets and the same from Omega ...
No way Omega is stronger ... if comparing a DeepSea bracelet and a Planet Ocean metal bracelet.It has a very tight and sturdy lock and does not „dangle-wiggle“ as my Omega one.
24AD4F2E-2526-4B4D-A35B-A81CDEC96674.jpeg
F1F755B7-9054-46DC-AEE0-67D4C4A9450E.jpeg
E05982FA-E5A8-4172-A4BF-9AFCEAC06114.jpeg
90C89401-15DD-4DB5-AEFE-B4E9EC484A87.jpeg

3) I am not doing mountain biking, apologies for that, but had my Sea Dweller with me in my last Afghanistan tour ( maybe it helps to compare when firing a FAMAS in heat, dirt, and fine sand... etc).
4) NASA selected the Speedy ( I love mine).. Rolex did not have a Chrono at that time.
Anyway, I am happy with both but Rolex is still the best if compared ( by experience) and was also prefered by Cousteau... ( after his Doxa) he used both plus Blancpain, plus Doxa, plus Eterna... and others.
BDD972EF-1C98-44CA-80C4-189D6EBDBF38.jpeg

Last edited:

33-1729

Apologies if I cannot agree. I had only best experiences with the Rolex factory service. Sent them all via a Basel (Switzerland) based Rolex couriering service to Geneva...Picked the watch up in the same Rolex service.
Got all changed parts back plus a two years factory warranty on all work done.
Invoicing from 600 to 800 CHF, depending on the Model. Yes they change parts without asking...why asking anyway? they are the experts not the wearer...they offer and are reliable for a 2 years warranty.
I believe, if sent only within France or any other country ( to Rolex dealer ) it might be different. Back to factory only ( no outlet, no dealer) as above mentioned.
May I express severe doubts and with all due respect, that your actual watch maker if not a Rolex authorized dealer or service center uses original Rolex parts for your Submariner? for me, this makes it loosing value...rebuild with after market parts....
Plus it may even get worse and damaging other parts...I am no fan of such things sorry..not for my watches nor my cars nor any others..
I have an issued ( not to me) Comex 16600 and as far as I can see it only gains in value if unmessed and with all paperwork, service records, box etc...As for all...many rebuilt “ Comex’es “ on the market...Here we discuss the real thing...not the “ retrofitted “ ones.
No Omega at all, will ever be at this level, unless from (with provenance) an Astronaut or Capt. Cousteau’s or his team...(BTW, the later favored Rolex vs. all others).

My experience has been the same as Pilot’s. I’ve used quite a few Sea-Dweller and Submariners as tool watches and found that watch repair shops, including authorized Rolex dealers, will always try to use their watch repair site rather than sending back to an actual Rolex-owned site (London, New York, Geneva, etc.). Took me a while to figure this out, but the dealer workmanship varied widely (not good for a tool watch), but the watches sent to the actual Rolex-owned repair sites were always finished to a very high standard (2yr warranty and as new condition). If someone is losing a minute a day after a “repair” they are being ripped off by whomever is servicing the watch (-2/+5 seconds is the old Rolex standard and +/-2sec is the new one).

Another item I found out is that when it is sent to the actual Rolex site the cost is the same everywhere, so go to Tiffany & Co. and be done with it. (Even they’ll want to use their people, but ask it to be sent to an actual Rolex site and they will.)

Here are some repair boxes I have (I use them to store other watches). The way to look at the picture is to have a Rolex a few years, send in for Rolex service, repeat. So this is at least a couple decades of repair boxes (and I check the receipts for the location where the work was done on pickup).

IMG_1455.JPG