• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watches to wear with your flight jackets...

ties70

Hi Guys,

as I hi-jacked a thread over at the "General discussion" section and posted pitures of my watch in the "What jacket are you wearing today?" thread, I thought it might be cool to start a separate thread for watches here.

I have been interested in mechanical watches for decades now and like to combine them with my flight jackets or the other vintage-inspired clothing I wear.

Maybe just start right into it. This is my wearer today:

speedy.jpg

'68 pre-moon Speedmaster

Best regards,

Ties

Steve27752

Hi Guys,

as I hi-jacked a thread over at the "General discussion" section and posted pitures of my watch in the "What jacket are you wearing today?" thread, I thought it might be cool to start a separate thread for watches here.

I have been interested in mechanical watches for decades now and like to combine them with my flight jackets or the other vintage-inspired clothing I wear.

speedy.jpg

'68 pre-moon Speedmaster

Best regards,

Ties

The Speedie is one of my favourite watches.

oose

My early 1920's sterling silver watch with Swiss movement, imported into Edinburgh in 1921. Mesh guard is original with a patent No. RD 656724 and PAT. 105694 — patent granted 26/04/1917. For more active days a tough Casio G-shock is my preferred watch.
watch1.jpg
GBpatent10569417081916.jpg

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

DSC_0056.JPG
I knew Speedmasters would come up! Sadly had to part with mine three years ago, miss it terribly. Having been through a few watches since, I must say I am very fond of my Seiko Solar diver's chronograph, in many ways a better watch than the Speedy ever was, but I still want another one. Prices have gone up considerably since I bought mine!

Tommy

Hi Guys,

speedy.jpg

'68 pre-moon Speedmaster

Best regards,

Ties

The Ultimate Watch in my eyes and unfortunately out of my budget right now. I've also been searching for a Seiko 'Pogue', but although these are much cheaper I've yet to find one in my budget in good enough condition.

Tommy

I'll try and replace this with an actual shot of mine, but my favourite watch I actually own in the Seiko 7t34 6a00. Kinda a poor man's Bretling Navitimer?

6758320691_ac8e64b29e_z.jpg

I wouldn't mind something smaller with a fairly simple 24hr dial, a nice military issue style one. Timex Weekender is obvious choice, though kind of leaning more to a Hamilton or something similar?

ties70

View attachment 3861 I knew Speedmasters would come up! Sadly had to part with mine three years ago, miss it terribly. Having been through a few watches since, I must say I am very fond of my Seiko Solar diver's chronograph, in many ways a better watch than the Speedy ever was, but I still want another one. Prices have gone up considerably since I bought mine!

Mikey,

I got the Speedmaster from the estate of a friend of my mother-in-law and paid 800 Euro for it (three years ago). It looks pretty beaten up, but keeps time just perfectly. When I wanted to get information about the services from Omega, the guy in the watch store told me to let Omega do as little as possible: "The movement needs to be cleaned, of course, and the pushers will most likely be replaced, a new plexi dome would be fine, but do not let them touch the dial! It's one of the last watches made with radium, long inactive, but you can't fake that yellowish look."

A complete service plus spare parts would most likely be around 1,000 Euros. Seems to be money well spent as the value of the watch would still be 500 - 800 Euro higher than purchase price and the service combined.

The price for new Omegas is just insane.
Seems as if they decided to be on the same level with the real luxury watchmakers when they introduced the new co-axial movements ten years ago.

Best regards,

Ties

MikeyB-17

Mikey,

I got the Speedmaster from the estate of a friend of my mother-in-law and paid 800 Euro for it (three years ago). It looks pretty beaten up, but keeps time just perfectly. When I wanted to get information about the services from Omega, the guy in the watch store told me to let Omega do as little as possible: "The movement needs to be cleaned, of course, and the pushers will most likely be replaced, a new plexi dome would be fine, but do not let them touch the dial! It's one of the last watches made with radium, long inactive, but you can't fake that yellowish look."

A complete service plus spare parts would most likely be around 1,000 Euros. Seems to be money well spent as the value of the watch would still be 500 - 800 Euro higher than purchase price and the service combined.

The price for new Omegas is just insane.
Seems as if they decided to be on the same level with the real luxury watchmakers when they introduced the new co-axial movements ten years ago.

Best regards,

Ties

Yeah it was servicing costs which finally forced me to sell mine, it was a fantastic watch but the least reliable and most expensive to service I’ve ever owned. It cost me £300 the last time, and I decided enough was enough. Perhaps I was unlucky with mine, but I had to get it repaired three times in ten years. That was totally impractical for me. I loved it though, despite being the World’s coolest watch, only people who knew watches knew what it was, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the comments I got-which I liked.

ties70

I wish I still had this one, but I sold it to buy a Hamilton Earth (which I don't have anymore, either).

kirowa_21_zpsa2c918ed.jpg

Russian Kirowa copy of the famous Hanhart flight Chronograph.

johnwayne

Mostly it's a Tag Heuer Monaco although it is a bit chunky so either a vintage style Seiko. I also have my late fathers Omega that needs a service but as its 70's vintage it's gonna cost the price of a used repro A2 as apparently it has to go beck to Switzerland, hence my holding off! The Monaco could do with a service but similar cost too!!

Last edited: