• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Correspondents wearing A2s

MauldinFan

Two from the George Stevens series of color film he shot with his own equipment from Normandy to the VE Day.
I don't know who these men were. Some of you might know I have more than a passing interest in this subject and have a collection of their insignia, uniforms and personal items. I'd not seen a photo of a civilian correspondent wearing an A2 marked with insignia before seeing these.
Screenshot_20230115_083914_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20230115_083800_YouTube.jpg

The film can be seen here:

Last edited:

MauldinFan

Could be as simple as they promised to send home a photo of the guy they got the A2 from or said they'd include them into a story.
Correspondents usually had plenty of people in the service willing to help then out.

ZuZu

I've watched this footage before. Some of the jackets are definitely A-2s. Interesting that the correspondents seem to wear their A-2s pretty large- not quite as skimpy as some airmen.

I'm sure the grabass that went on between everyone behind the lines made it pretty easy to get a hold of whatever little thing you wanted. Of course maybe I'm just in the thick of Gravity's Rainbow Pynchonian thinking...

Yardstick

Not war correspondents but close - I've got images of what I believe to be original chest patches for the 1st through to the 9th Combat Camera Units as well as the 1st Motion Picture Unit. I only have the one picture of one of these patches on an A-2 (1st Combat Camera Units, 15th AAF), but I would expect they found there way onto whatever jacket the individual was either issued or 'precured' during his time in theatre.

1st Combat Camera Unit_15th AAF.jpg