• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted Pics of Early Arctic Type B-3

Ken at Aero Leather

Arctic Type B-3.JPG

We had this beauty in for restoration recently, after photo above
Somehow the file of photos we took has corrupted....one never finds out about these things until they are needed :confused:

I'm sure there are some on here but I can't find them as "B-3" is too short a "word" to be recognised by the search engine,
Anyone here on VLJ got a link to any, or has any pics??

blackrat2

I am sure someone will have some, I do recall a discussion on these jackets and why the buckle was in the chest...hopefully someone will chime up

MikeyB-17

There was this one:-

Try ‘SFAD’ or ‘1937’ in the search box. In fact ‘chest buckle’ also provided some results. The buckle was for one of the collar straps-it’s all very complicated, still not 100% sure how it worked, but somebody posted a pic of an early AAF pilot using it back along. Andrew Roughwear bought a ’37 B-3, but must have used Photobucket because his pics are gone. Dunno if JC ever bought this chap’s jacket.

zoomer

Hap Arnold wore what looks like a prototype with matching trousers in a 1935 pic. That's up here too.

denny@aero

So we have finally launched our 1937 Early unsealed B3 , as made for masters of the air. The original had a chest strap which we will be offering as an option, we have decided to offer as option and not make standard as we believe most people would prefer without, given that "A" it is quite cumbersome and "B" there really isn't a definitive reason for it's function. I know it has been suggested that it was a way of securing the top collar strap down to stop collar flapping and give room for oxygen mask but if this was the reason why not fit it at an angle.
Looking back at original pics of John Egan in his, he has removed / lost his chest strap and only the keeper loop remains. Wardrobe for Masters of the Air decided they didn't want chest buckle on theirs.

Attachments

• 20240206_110157.jpg
    20240206_110157.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • 20240201_121648.jpg
    20240201_121648.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
  • 20240201_121707.jpg
    20240201_121707.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • 20240201_121731.jpg
    20240201_121731.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
  • 20240201_121748.jpg
    20240201_121748.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
  • 20240201_121824.jpg
    20240201_121824.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
  • 20240201_121841.jpg
    20240201_121841.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94

VeraVoulik

So we have finally launched our 1937 Early unsealed B3 , as made for masters of the air. The original had a chest strap which we will be offering as an option, we have decided to offer as option and not make standard as we believe most people would prefer without, given that "A" it is quite cumbersome and "B" there really isn't a definitive reason for it's function. I know it has been suggested that it was a way of securing the top collar strap down to stop collar flapping and give room for oxygen mask but if this was the reason why not fit it at an angle.
Looking back at original pics of John Egan in his, he has removed / lost his chest strap and only the keeper loop remains. Wardrobe for Masters of the Air decided they didn't want chest buckle on theirs.

great jacket! <3

Enigma1938

Beautiful outcome.
But I think like the white german suede "Kanaljacke" it gets dirty pretty much after a good use. For me there's a difference in wearing a jacket with a great patina or looking like a hobo.
But it sure depends on what the potential buyer has planned to do with it.
That besides a really nice jacket for sure.

denny@aero

Beautiful outcome.
But I think like the white german suede "Kanaljacke" it gets dirty pretty much after a good use. For me there's a difference in wearing a jacket with a great patina or looking like a hobo.
But it sure depends on what the potential buyer has planned to do with it.
That besides a really nice jacket for sure.
yes they get dirty even if you look at it wrong, but that is true of the originals , maybe why the unsealed were quickly discontinued and the more durable and practical Polyarylic coated skins were used. The veg tanned unfinished horse used for trim will patina beautifully with wear.

Picture below really demonstrates how quickly these jackets can get dirty . Guy on right obviously just issued , guy on left maybe a year old ! We have an 80 year old example in our showroom that is cleaner !!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1706468084842.jpg
    FB_IMG_1706468084842.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 87

Dany McDonald

Hello Denny,

I'am not into B-3's but for an unclear reason I like the outcome of an unsealed one... It's probably because it resonate the 30's a lot and stands out from the usual caramel/tan colour.

Good job and congrats for your work with MOA!

D

B-Man2

Denny
Nice looking repro of the Artic B-3 . I hope you have great sales results with them. While I couldn’t see myself wearing one, for reasons previously mentioned, it is a nice looking jacket. Hopefully MOA will generate a lot of interest in them. Changing gears on you for a second , does Aero have any future plans to once again remake a dark fleece Irvin? The last ones used solid black fleece and the color of the hide was off, and IMHO missed the mark a little bit . An accurate repro of a dark chocolate fleece Irvin would generate some interest I think. Such as the one pictured below.
IMG_2003.jpeg

leper-colony

Denny
Nice looking repro of the Artic B-3 . I hope you have great sales results with them. While I couldn’t see myself wearing one, for reasons previously mentioned, it is a nice looking jacket. Hopefully MOA will generate a lot of interest in them. Changing gears on you for a second , does Aero have any future plans to once again remake a dark fleece Irvin? The last ones used solid black fleece and the color of the hide was off, and IMHO missed the mark a little bit . An accurate repro of a dark chocolate fleece Irvin would generate some interest I think. Such as the one pictured below. View attachment 137631
This.

denny@aero

Denny
Nice looking repro of the Artic B-3 . I hope you have great sales results with them. While I couldn’t see myself wearing one, for reasons previously mentioned, it is a nice looking jacket. Hopefully MOA will generate a lot of interest in them. Changing gears on you for a second , does Aero have any future plans to once again remake a dark fleece Irvin? The last ones used solid black fleece and the color of the hide was off, and IMHO missed the mark a little bit . An accurate repro of a dark chocolate fleece Irvin would generate some interest I think. Such as the one pictured below. View attachment 137631
I have made an enquiry with our supplier regarding MOQ and if feasable we may offer a limited run of these. Ill keep you guys posted