• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted: Levi's LVC 501s, 40-42"

zoomer

Wanted: Levi's LVC 501s, models 1927, '33, '37. Used condition is fine. Must measure 40-42" (101-107cm) waist. PM or mail me at pwlsax at gmail dot com.

stanier

Whilst LVC’s in that size do exist, you might be better going with Vintage Lee. Much better repro’s and the tagged size generally runs a couple of inches bigger in reality and they don’t shrink as much.

Grant

really good call Stanier, although 30's Lee Archive denim is getting tougher to find outside Japan.

zoomer

what type of Lees should I target for good rise and full fit?

Last edited:

Grant

The 1934, 42 Lee 101B's from Lee Archive are cut with a high rise and full in the legs with very little taper.
Looks like Aero still has a pair of the Lee Archive '34 101B's in a larger size. One word of warning: most of the Lee's on Aero's site are Lee Europe, which aren't as accurate as the Japan made Lee Archive.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=120

Posted these before, but here are my well worn 1942 Lee 101B's from Lee Archive Japan.

DENIMI.JPG

DENIMII.JPG

stanier

Those ‘42 Lee’s are well cool. You can get them from Japan now, but sadly the inverted arcuate has gone and it’s yellow selvedge currently, which whilst I understand has historical integrity, I just prefer the blue. Your pair are breaking in beautifully Grant.

The quality of Lee Japan repro’s just can’t be bettered; equalled maybe, but not bettered. I’ve got some Sugar Cane pre Levi’s law suit ‘47’s with the red tab and arc’s and I love them too.

Sad to say LVC can be a bit, well, i’ll be kind and just say disappointing. The cuts are often messed with, details overlooked or poorly done and the pocket bags certainly aren’t up to much. And the crotch is prone to blow out. Oh and sizing can be all over the place. Having said this if you’re lucky enough to find LVC Japan dry NOS then that’s a different ballgame and top class, but I don’t think they did bigger than 38 inch waist, and they shrink much like originals.

stanier

I think it’s sad that the most respected, desirable and authentic vintage denim isn’t made in the US from US made components by US workers who know and care about their heritage and historic imperative. Personally I think it’s one of those cultural details that reflects America.

I like to think it’s rather like Yorkshire people would feel if you couldn’t get at least arguably the best roast beef and Yorkshire pudding in Yorkshire.

johnwayne

Aeroleather stock both LVC and Lee, I've not checked recently but when I did your talking high prices for jeans - just a suggestion . My own experience of several pairs of LVC 1944's was that in reality they didn't hold up/wear much better than regular 501's but I just liked the look and the fit - still got some so might need to cannibalise them to get one wearable pair - they always tended to wear around the crotch area - no comments thank you!!

zoomer

I think it’s sad that the most respected, desirable and authentic vintage denim isn’t made in the US from US made components by US workers who know and care about their heritage and historic imperative. Personally I think it’s one of those cultural details that reflects America.
Our NOT doing it that way better reflects today’s America. We’re supposed to wear whatever shmattes the mass market deems profitable to sell us. Sad, you bet. But sadness is not a useful emotion to Americans, not unless it sublimates into anger.
I like to think it’s rather like Yorkshire people would feel if you couldn’t get at least arguably the best roast beef and Yorkshire pudding in Yorkshire.
We’re smoking a kind of cultural crack tho; whatever America’s already got is the best, just because. You can sell us anything, as long as it can be promoted by buzzwords, icons, and inchoate urges. We don’t respond to much else.

Last edited: