• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walter Dyer "Brando"

mtds

Normally I buy used mid-quality motorcycle jackets on *Bay. Most of the time I resell them for one reason or another; sometimes I lose money on the resale and sometimes I make money. I just enjoy comparing and contrasting the different jackets. (See my five posts titled “Inexpensive Jacket” on this forum.) I have been curious about Walter Dyer jackets for some time, but I’ve never been able to find a used one in my size 48. Recently a little extra money came into my hands and I took a deep breath and ordered a new Walter Dyer “Brando.” They had a 10%-Off sale, so that made it a tiny bit easier to part with my money, given that the jacket would depreciate by 50% as soon as I wore it.

standard.jpg

When the jacket arrived I was impressed with its weight, at 6-1/4 pounds a pound heavier than the two Schott 118’s that have passed through my hands recently. The leather was thick, soft, and grainy, and all the pockets were leather-lined. As far as tailoring, there is a nice protective dip to the back and a wide, lightly-padded leather band on the inside of the back.

standard.jpg

Unfortunately, one of the hand warmer pockets was installed upside-down. I called Dyer and they said to send it back for a replacement. I decided to address some fit issues while it was at the factory and asked for three changes: snugger wrists, longer sleeves, and a smaller waist. They made a new jacket to my specs and it was in my hands twenty days from the day I mailed the defective jacket. This turnaround included two trips between Massachusetts and California, so I was impressed.

standard.jpg

Pros: Affordable. Excellent customer service. Maker is willing to customize, for a small fee. Thick, soft, flexible leather right out of the box; ready to wear. Appropriately heavy zippers. Generous overlap of leather at waist and cuffs. Leather-lined pockets. Wide, substantial belt loops. True to size, and cut for its intended use, motorcycling.

Cons: Quality control was spotty. The upside-down pocket on the first jacket. On the second, misplacement of a belt hole grommet (see the second picture.) Also, what seems like slight misplacement of collar snaps on the jacket’s front panel make the collar lie oddly. They used a heavily scarred section of leather on the inside left waist panel. The leather seems sound, but its use seems penny-wise-pound-foolish to me. No leather pulls on the pocket zippers. The small snap pocket is very narrow and deep, not too functional for the hands that go with a size 48 frame.

standard.jpg

I realize this isn’t an exciting or exclusive jacket, but I’m still impressed with what this manufacturer produces for the money. It is a functional, heavy-duty, slightly-customized, US-made motorcycle jacket for a total of $359.50, including shipping across the country three times. Good job, Walter Dyer Leathers!

standard.jpg

Vcruiser

mtds
Nice write-up and review.
Something that I noticed right away...is how the bi-swing is shaped.
Seems kinda cut out more than most bi-swings...making for a more narrow pieced back across the shoulders...and wider shoulder bi-swing opening than most jackets.
Van

mtds

Vcruiser said:
mtds
Something that I noticed right away...is how the bi-swing is shaped.
Seems kinda cut out more than most bi-swings...making for a more narrow pieced back across the shoulders...and wider shoulder bi-swing opening than most jackets.
Van
Interesting and accurate observation, Van. I hadn't noticed that. The pics below are the Walter Dyer, a Schott 118, a Kerr, and a Langlitz Columbia. Each one a little different, but the Dyer is the most extreme.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

fishmeok

How is the fit? That's what really matters....
Post pics of you wearing it- just cut off the head if you are modest :D
Cheers
Mark

mtds

fishmeok said:
How is the fit? That's what really matters....
Post pics of you wearing it- just cut off the head if you are modest :D
Cheers
Mark

To answer Mark's request, I posed for a couple of pics with the jacket as it is used. Not much point otherwise, right? Ever see road racers walking around in their full leather suits? They look like boys wearing their Dads' leathers, plus they've made a mess in the pants. Then watch them on their racers and the leathers look like a second skin. Anyway, here are a couple of pics of a Walter Dyer Brando with a few custom touchs:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

As an aside, this Dyer jacket was supposed to be the end of my search for an off-the-rack inexpensive motorcycle jacket to substitute for the Langliz jackets I wore for years. Best laid plans. Sure enough, within a week or so of receiving the Dyer jacket, a Langlitz with just the right combination of measurements was offered on eBay. I bought it at a great price. Now is the time to be buying used leather; a year or so ago, a Langlitz in this size and condition would have fetched 25-30% more. No pics of it yet.

Falcon_52

mtds:

Your jacket looks right on - a very good fit I'd say. It's definitely at home on your Triumph. :D What a beauty! What year is she?

Regards,

Noel

mtds

Falcon_52 said:
mtds:

Your jacket looks right on - a very good fit I'd say. It's definitely at home on your Triumph. :D What a beauty! What year is she?

Regards,

Noel

The Triumph is a 1979-1/2 Triumph T140D Bonneville, with quite a few small modifications. I'm the original owner.

standard.jpg

Tommer45

Forget the jacket... more pics of the Triumph!! Just kidding.. both are beauties. The jacket looks like it fits great on the bike. I was out riding with my Langlitz today and it really makes a difference when you ride with a jacket that fits you right. Best of luck with both!

Tommer