• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VMF-462

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I just picked this up, and it's not even a duck, so now I have a bird theme.

The patch is unused, but not new ... maybe 20, or so years old? I'm just wondering why patches like this were made. I get that makers like Buzz Rickson would sell them on a jacket, but other than that I can't see how they'd be a commercial propostion. Reunions?

Cory will know. :cool:

VMF-462.jpg

VMF-462_back.jpg

EMBLEMHUNTER

The "Bird" on this patch was known as "Hawky Tawky" and it is my understanding that when the unit had/used the patch this was the way it was made, it is a WW-2 USMC era patch .
Johnny

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Wow, thanks Johnny ... I could see it wasn't new, but it's so clean, with the colours still so bright, that I figured it couldn't be too old.

That's good news. :D

a2jacketpatches

Just looked it up in my book, it's dead on to the example shown. The book shows a moth nip or two, the texture in the Corsair (ribbing) is perfect, and all detail looks to match perfectly. The colors a a shade off here and there but that is most likely difference in photography or printing. I'm thinking you got a 500- patch there.

unclegrumpy

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
The "Bird" on this patch was known as "Hawky Tawky" and it is my understanding that when the unit had/used the patch this was the way it was made, it is a WW-2 USMC era patch .
Johnny

That is pretty much the story. This design was authorized in 1944, and the unit deactivated in September of 1945. The "Hawky Tawky" bird is from the Barney Google Comic Strip. This is a US made WW II patch, and the only version I have ever seen and believe was ever used.

Looks like you have done it again! This patch is not near as rare or desirable as your Australian made VMF 122 "Donald" patch, though it is still a very good one.....and I would agree that a2jacketpatches's $500 number is about right.

You need to keep hitting on those 85 year old lassies....those former girlfriends are really putting out for you! :D

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
unclegrumpy said:
You need to keep hitting on those 85 year old lassies....those former girlfriends are really putting out for you! :D

You got me. :shock:

Thankyou all again ... yes, the colour is a little off, the light here is so bright this month, and the camera adjusts.

This is fun, I'll keep trying.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Most likely the reason your patch looks so "New" in condodtion is it was probably put away in a box/drawer etc and forgotten about until recently , and didn't have much exposure to light , th unit also being short lived it was never put on a uniform .

Some years ago I came into possesion of a USAAF Bomb Squadron felt type unit patch , it was in this "pristine" comdition too, the reason was like above , the man it came from had sent it home and it was "stored" all those 60+ years , until "Found" again going through his possesions .

It happens, rarely but they're still out there in this condition , it's just a matter of right place/right time .
Johnny