• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VLJ software upgrade

2BM2K

Woh, where am I? Oh, that was a bit of a shock!

I notice that I can view the forum without signing-in, is it going "public"?

Persimmon

I am afraid to say I may be in that small minority but I don't like it. I liked the difference between FL and this site. Now it just appears a clone. I appreciate the management is the same. Sadly I can see it all being merged together in the near future.
Luddites stand up and be counted. All two of us !!

John Lever

I think the ' evolved ' structure of VLJ was its charm. It could be though that the new more sophisticated template can't be set up in the same way ?

Nathan Flowers

Administrator
I am afraid to say I may be in that small minority but I don't like it. I liked the difference between FL and this site. Now it just appears a clone. I appreciate the management is the same. Sadly I can see it all being merged together in the near future.
Luddites stand up and be counted. All two of us !!

VLJ and the Lounge will absolutely not be merged under any circumstances. The software running the backend of the sites is the same (and Xenforo is what most forums are moving to these days), but we can work on giving VLJ its own unique feel that you guys like.

I think the ' evolved ' structure of VLJ was its charm. It could be though that the new more sophisticated template can't be set up in the same way ?

We can adjust the look/feel to be more grey/silver like the previous software. I'm still working on that for you guys.

ButteMT61

Come on fellas. The "look" may not be to your liking - but Nathan can put themes in to choose from. I am an old fart too, but old crappy software is not fun to use in 2016.
I applaud the changes and look forward to a better forum for it.

ButteMT61

It's the content that makes a forum, not the look of the software. Do you guys really feel like it's a different site because of that?

ButteMT61

It looks identical to lots of forums, but I don't mistake a watch forum for VLJ or a moto forum, etc.
Dunno. I guess we're all on different pages here, no pun intended.

Roughwear

I am concerned that some sections of the forum are open to non members to peruse and feel they should only be viewed by members, just like closed FB groups. Unless this happens people may limit what they post or refrain from posting much at all, which would be a loss to the VLJ community.

DiamondDave

Gents,

I think I like it! Perhaps perusal by outsiders is a good thing, to introduce them to what we have to offer here? It really is a vast database of good information.

At least from what little I have gotten to play with, yes I like it.

At least here, unlike TFL, I am not sequestered to the "Vendor" section. Talk about a place with NO traffic! I am still unclear about why it is that I cannot post over there but I see loads of other "non affiliates" posting all about their wares....and yes I did ask on TFL, only to be ignored. Par for the course.

DD

Steve27752

I agree with the comments by Alan and Andrew. I do not want a sterile clone of FL. Nor do I want non members looking at the topics.

JDAM

I don't mind the design, look and feel of the site. However, I'm shocked that a load of content (comment, imagery etc.) on the site is now publicly accessible / searchable. I'm surprised nobody considered the privacy aspects before spunking it all out there for public viewing. And especially so given the site was, previously, specifically closed i.e. some basic level of confidentiality was considered a key requirement. Oh well.

ButteMT61

Agree on keeping posts/pics off of google, etc. I like being able to post without worrying about that aspect and don't have to lop off heads, etc.

Nathan Flowers

Administrator
I don't mind the design, look and feel of the site. However, I'm shocked that a load of content (comment, imagery etc.) on the site is now publicly accessible / searchable. I'm surprised nobody considered the privacy aspects before spunking it all out there for public viewing. And especially so given the site was, previously, specifically closed i.e. some basic level of confidentiality was considered a key requirement. Oh well.

It's absolutely something we have carefully considered, and even mentioned it in previous posts about the transition to the new software. We think that opening up some areas is crucial to keep VLJ growing and healthy in the long term.

Agree on keeping posts/pics off of google, etc. I like being able to post without worrying about that aspect and don't have to lop off heads, etc.

Pictures are blocked from Google and other search engines via robots.txt. Also, the gallery, Life Beyond, Bios, and more are also blocked from public viewing.

Steve, if you and Scott are down for having a Skype one evening to discuss, I'd be happy to talk more. It's a fine line to walk between healthy growth and keeping everyone happy.