• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VLJ software upgrade

ButteMT61

I mentioned cost earlier on, and I would be open to chipping in for the costs. I do that on a couple forums now and it's worth it to me.

I'd even go as far as saying that if you donate $x a year, you get a vote on changes to the site. Just an idea...

a2jacketpatches

I think photos should be restricted. Personally, the lack of is what prompted me to join several other forums after seeing a good healthy conversation about the subject I was into. Not a big deal at all but neither is a few having stated they will return when so many have gone forever, that remains to be seen after some changes. Think it's OK to look without the ability to post, see photos, search, or any other privilege that a signed up member is usually afforded. I'd pay a membership fee in a heart beat but I also think that would be just one more reason another 5 would never look back. We nee new blood as mentioned more than once, and make them feel warm , welcome, and invited.

unclegrumpy

I am in favor of getting new people to join the group, but don't think it is very much to ask those people to sign up to participate. It is a very common practice with most small Forums. I am not in favor of making all of this Forum's content fully searchable, usable, and harvestable on the internet. That would mean we would be giving away all of our content, and allowing the entire world to lurk.

Essentially, the question becomes do we all want to run around naked and totally exposed on the internet or not. My preference is to maintain a modest level of privacy. Having a small threshold to cross has worked well for us in the past, and I think is an inconsequential barrier to attracting new members.

a2jacketpatches

UG, Tried to make it clear that my suggestion restricts everything except for viewing of the conversation. I tend to favor your approach and input on this forum and hear what you're saying. Just thought that with a "Read Only" everybody's privacy is very much secure anyway but opened just enough for a tire kicker to pull the trigger.

Fellas, so to not veer off any more than we already have, I think these ideas are best suited for the "Forum Questions / Problems" section before anyone is singled out and re-directed. If you all read the subtitles there it is very clear as in "Reproduction Manufacturers".

The new software for me is just fine and I like it more and more every day.

ausreenactor

Good idea John. I'll put something on FB.

I just posted a massive response for this thread, and as a 'case in point' to my opinion of the functionality of the new VLJ page, I moved off to see my 'Alert'. When I came back the post content was gone. The old page would still have my text there ready to post.

I think the number of posters and posts will still trend downwards. There is an increasing presence on Facebook and many who would never take the time to register and participate here presently get daily updates on their respective Facebook jacket pages.

I post less, I get the Facebook page updates right away and I log in to the Fedora Lounge as a higher priority these days. While I don't post much, I consistently take a look at what is new and at who buys and sells. I am not sure whether my general apathy to the new VLJ page is just due to the lack of new jackets getting posted or offered for sale here, or if it is aligned to the new 'look' of the VLJ.

The VLJ has had an inadvertent tendency to remove its most prolific and passionate posters due to the unseen machinations and perceptions of an elite few. The impact this has on the forum is more than just removing their 'evil ways'. It removes potential posts about the jackets, the recent buys, the perceptions and their collections. It removes any subsequent discussion over those initial posts and any feedback from others. That feedback could be in the form of posts with additional information, extra images from others or another type of value adding. While I will still continue to jump on the VLJ page, there is a slight disappointment at the posts and lack of content each time I do these days.

Couchy

ButteMT61

Actually, posting appears to be on the rise here, and I see some new members. I do love when people announce their leaving a forum - to drum up tears? Joy? Angst? If you don't like it or the mod's or the software or the members or the content, adios Amigo! We all have the same choices to make. Do what's best for you and your stability.

ausreenactor

I guess as a long term devotee of the FL you would be more pleased with the new look and the functionality. Not leaving, I guess you always read posts with the slant you perceived.... I still like to see new jackets.... Need something to spend my cash on... Firearms are the main effort these days.

tibor

I often have to re-log-in a number of times during a session for no apparent reasons... a little tedious. Also, I miss the PM (private message) function that was easy and intuitive.

2BM2K

I often have to re-log-in a number of times during a session for no apparent reasons.

For me logging out occurs when clicking either the VLJ logo/picture or the Home tab. This can be avoided by using instead the Forums tab.

Also, I miss the PM (private message) function

PM's are still there but are now called Conversations and can be found under the Inbox tab.

2BM2K

It is still unclear how to start a conversation with a member from the members list.
???

To start a conversation select Inbox "Start a new conversation"

In the Conversation page go to the "Participants:" box and begin to type in the name of recipient, a drop-down menu of names will appear; select required name.

tibor

Yes, I know about the conversations function and have used it, but it's clumsier than just hitting the PM box under the post you're in and sending a message like the old system.

Also, I am not a fan of making most of it public. If people wish to have shared photos on the forum with friends only they're now available to anyone who drops by. It will naturally inhibit people less interested in splashing their image on the Internet.

bfrench

Administrator
If you put the mouse over the members name in a thread and then left click - an info box opens which then allows you to start a conversation by clicking on that option - when you open a new conversation it gives the option of keeping it private or allowing others to join.

ButteMT61

I often have to re-log-in a number of times during a session for no apparent reasons... a little tedious. Also, I miss the PM (private message) function that was easy and intuitive.
Often, when a forum changes software, you need to delete old cookies in your browser to fix this. That's what I did and it's fine now.
Scott

ButteMT61

I guess as a long term devotee of the FL you would be more pleased with the new look and the functionality. Not leaving, I guess you always read posts with the slant you perceived.... I still like to see new jackets.... Need something to spend my cash on... Firearms are the main effort these days.
TFL only recently changed software too. I happen to like both places as I like software that's got modern features.
I understand that it's hard to learn/like a change to the daily grind, but in time, I think most will end up liking it.
I do in fact support the changes, but I realize I'm not representative of the group as a whole...

ausreenactor

Just found the function to change the set up to 'Default Style' at the bottom left of the screen. I was on slate grey or something, which was crap? The World is looking bluer and brighter already...