• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Virgil Hilts Sweatshirt

Bombing IP

Does anyone know where to get the closest look to the sweat shirt he wore in the film ,I mean to purchase for myself .
Here is a company that makes one close but its a little pricey ,

Jeff

Last edited:

B-Man2

Jeff
That’s a chunk of money for a sweatshirt . I think I might be tempted to go to a flea market and pick up 4 or 5 cheap ones and then find a dye color close to the Hilts one and try dying a couple of them to see how close it came out.
Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

MikeyB-17

I spent ages trying to recreate McQueen’s Great Escape look. I bought a cheapo sweatshirt and cut the sleeves off, which did the job as well as any. I also believed Aero when they were selling a Lee sweatshirt with v-panel at the neck which they said was the same as McQueen’s. It wasn’t, although it was a nice sweatshirt nonetheless. Eventually I realised I would never look like McQueen because I was not McQueen. That’s why I gave up on A-2’s, I don’t have the athletic, WWII USAAF body shape to pull it off. I came across this interesting article whilst Googling today:-

taiAtari

Bronson makes a version that seems alright, and is a lot more affordable. Just take some scissors to it for the finishing touch as already suggested:
Here it is on Aliexpress, incl. free shipping.

Bronson-Repro-Steve-McQueen-Sweatshirts-De-Grote-Escape-Model-Retro-Mannen-Trui.jpg_q50.jpg

stanier

I appreciate it’s not the point of the OP, but is there any historical fact at all in the kit McQueen wears in the film? The A-2 and I think his shoes fine, but the sweatshirt and 60’s chino’s? Or even chino’s at all in the ETO? That must have been some Red Cross parcel!

Grant

Hey Stanier,
I also always wondered why McQueen was wearing 60's cut chinos, then checked out the Rake article Mikey posted and found this interesting:

But then McQueen made sure he made an impact in The Great Escape. While film-making of the times was only just beginning to consider period accuracy as a value to cherish in its own right, still McQueen flouted any attempts at authenticity to suit his own ends. Standard issue USAAF khakis would have been loose and wide-legged; McQueen had his tailored more in keeping with 60s tastes, and his burgeoning reputation as a sex symbol. Few flyers would have worn a sweatshirt under their leather jacket during operational duties (at least not without flouting regulations) and even fewer would cut the arms off into short-sleeves; but, as McQueen’s then wife Neile Adams’ suggested, this better allowed the showing off of one of his best assets, his forearms.

Kennyz

Thanks MikeyB-17. Great article and website.

Ken

I spent ages trying to recreate McQueen’s Great Escape look. I bought a cheapo sweatshirt and cut the sleeves off, which did the job as well as any. I also believed Aero when they were selling a Lee sweatshirt with v-panel at the neck which they said was the same as McQueen’s. It wasn’t, although it was a nice sweatshirt nonetheless. Eventually I realised I would never look like McQueen because I was not McQueen. That’s why I gave up on A-2’s, I don’t have the athletic, WWII USAAF body shape to pull it off. I came across this interesting article whilst Googling today:-

mulceber

Hey Stanier,
I also always wondered why McQueen was wearing 60's cut chinos, then checked out the Rake article Mikey posted and found this interesting:

But then McQueen made sure he made an impact in The Great Escape. While film-making of the times was only just beginning to consider period accuracy as a value to cherish in its own right, still McQueen flouted any attempts at authenticity to suit his own ends. Standard issue USAAF khakis would have been loose and wide-legged; McQueen had his tailored more in keeping with 60s tastes, and his burgeoning reputation as a sex symbol. Few flyers would have worn a sweatshirt under their leather jacket during operational duties (at least not without flouting regulations) and even fewer would cut the arms off into short-sleeves; but, as McQueen’s then wife Neile Adams’ suggested, this better allowed the showing off of one of his best assets, his forearms.

Well, that’s McQueen for you....King of Cool and Cooler King all rolled into one.

Good to know how this outfit arose. Like others, I’d been wondering about it as well.

Thomas Koehle

which size do you Need?

i once bought an XL and one M repop in what seems to me the correct Color and with the already chopped off sleeves

drop me a message if you might be interested and i send some pics

CBI

yes, there are some cheaper versions, Bronson, etc. Some loop wheel options i have seen. Actually, for me, I think the high scooped neck, no collar look with an A-2 doesn't look so great. I know, its "iconic" but I have always felt a shirt with a collar looks better under an A-2. Just my 2 cents. I am sure you can find a sweater that will work for you!

The look sort of reminds me of the Don Johnson Miami Vice look of sport coat with a T-shirt under it, always looks/ed odd to me.

B-Man2

$125.00 for a Virgil Hilts look a like sweatshirt seems very pricy to me . I suggest you consider this one instead . For $11.88 .
DEB93ACE-01BC-44A0-945B-F6DDF6E55B8A.png
7032B857-F62A-413A-882E-2299ACD11ED8.png
O

Last edited: