• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Virgil Hilts Sweatshirt

B-Man2

Never really understood why he chopped the arms. Must make putting an A-2 on rather a pain as the material bunches up around your biceps and shoulders........
Dave
I found the answer to that..... McQueens wife at the time thought that one of his best physical attributes were his forearms . He had thick fore arms probably from riding cross country and motocross bikes. So she told MCQueen that he would look sexier if he cut the sleeves and showed them off on screen .
The rest is history ..... 100% true and verified :)

Officer Dibley

Thanks Burt. I had read that he’d had his chinos tailored to be more like the fashion of the time. Whilst his coolness is beyond doubt, it was studied and practiced. He knew what looked good on him. Or you might say he’d have been cool wearing curtains (drapes to you colonials ;)). He knew how to accessorize like an Italian too.
Dave

B-Man2

Thanks Burt. I had read that he’d had his chinos tailored to be more like the fashion of the time. Whilst his coolness is beyond doubt, it was studied and practiced. He knew what looked good on him. Or you might say he’d have been cool wearing curtains (drapes to you colonials ;)). He knew how to accessorize like an Italian too.
Dave
Dave
When I did the Hilts thread earlier this year, I was like most guys of our age and I alway thought MCQueen was the king of cool . I have to admit that once I really got into reading about him .... well the shine sort of came off the apple ... The guy was difficult to work with, and was bit narcissistic, when things didn’t go his way . In the movie “ The Towering Inferno “ he walked off the set because Paul Newman had more lines in the script than he did and he would only return after the script was re written to give him the same number of lines as Newman .

Officer Dibley

Dave
When I did the Hilts thread earlier this year, I was like most guys of our age and I alway thought MCQueen was the king of cool . I have to admit that once I really got into reading about him .... well the shine sort of came off the apple ... The guy was difficult to work with, and was bit narcissistic, when things didn’t go his way . In the movie “ The Towering Inferno “ he walked off the set because Paul Newman had more lines in the script than he did and he would only return after the script was re written to give him the same number of lines as Newman .

Burt, it is apparently true he was a woman beater and serial philanderer........ few of us, let alone those successful and driven, are squeaky clean. It’s what makes people interesting. You should hear what i’ve read about Mother Theresa ! :eek:

B-Man2

Burt, it is apparently true he was a woman beater and serial philanderer........ few of us, let alone those successful and driven, are squeaky clean. It’s what makes people interesting. You should hear what i’ve read about Mother Theresa ! :eek:
LOL!
Was she a hottie Dave? ;)

Bobnatural

Well, I am sorry, but that is an insane price tag for a freaking swear shirt! You can buy something much better for 125 bucks! I mean, that is a no-name brand that is selling sweatshirts for that amount of money. You can see some other well-known brands with some better prices. If you want a good sweatshirt, for an adequate sum, you can read some reviews here lululookalike.com. There you can find a lot of great sweatshirts, hoodies, and many other things. Their reviews are very objective, that is why I like them.

Last edited:

London Cabbie

Uniqlo. Not sure they are in America. However there brilliant I have a few, they do them in vintage type colours with large rubbed cuffs & hems and small sweat V at front collar. They did one in a vintage blue that’s as near to damnit RAF Great Escape Blue. I won’t be cutting off the sleeves just yet. It uses excellent weight cotton. The only sweatshirt I had that’s better quality is from champion…

Thomas Koehle

that's the Sweater - sorry for the crappy pics - the real Color is brighter than on the pics

C4A4H5t.jpg

0szLdSf.jpg

I still have this one laying around somewhere at home - ain't fit me (ain't no fit - dang english is pretty complicated) so i'd sell it if someone might be interested ...

I will be back to Germany next week and can check whether i find it ...

Thomas

johnwayne

Uniqlo are damn good value, great quality and pretty consistent for size, their sweats are ideal with the v stitched neck albeit their navy colour prob too dark if accuracy is king!
Did the Hilts thing myself a few years back for a ‘Dress as an Icon’ Xmas party - the A2, chino’s etc., right down to to baseball and glove!! Think I’ve said it here before but when someone asked the Mrs who I was she replied, ‘George Clooney’ Doh!!!!

bn1966

Marks & Spencer’s have been making some good sweats, purchased a few and had the sleeves chopped and sewn at the elbow, V stitch present too, been wearing them to work last few years…

Cocker

take the scissors and cut, I'll post a photo as soon as I can

The raglan sleeves, not the cut sleeves :)

1628246593923.png

So basically, except that it's a blue sweater, the construction is totally different. You can see the raglan sleeves construction on the pictures below:

1628246665865.png

1628246718809.png

Shropshire-lad

Or cruise ebay, like I did, and get hold of a Buzz Rickson sweatshirt and do the sleeve job. They‘re accurate to the style and I find the sweatshirt to be very practical on the old motosickle too. I went for a grey one though…..