• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage shearling conditioning

Peter Graham

I'm sure, like me, some of you have had a fraustrating time trying to condition vintage shearling jackets. Pecards does not penetrate the laquer covering the outside of the jacket very well. Right now I can't remember what it's called, poly something. I remember on one of the old forums the now sadly departed Simon mentioned a product that was sprayed on from the inside that penetrated through the fleece and conditioned the skin. Does anyone know what this is called and where to get it ? Thanks.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
Right now I can't remember what it's called, poly something.

Polyacrylate .... but Google's being a bit vague about the spray conditioner.

better duck

I've posted these before on VLJ 3: here are two pages from one of the appendices of Sweetings "Combat Flying Clothing".
It is a period instruction leaflet on the care and maintenance of shearling flying clothing; although, re-reading them, the main concern is appearance, and not so much care of the underlying sheepskin...

Hope you can read it, if not, PM me and I'll mail you the original photos of these pages!

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg