• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Moto jacket with lightning zipper

Kniperider

6468CCB0-9D69-4DE7-B864-5BC9945BC10D.jpeg
FF4501C6-DAEB-4076-8741-211DBCDFCE33.png
18985306-5089-473C-B632-173E4F8E3451.jpeg
C7F76881-A469-47F2-B2C8-342075F5DF57.jpeg

Hi to all you aficionado’s,
I came across this on Marketplace today, picked it up for $50AUD. I know it’s a moto jacket from circa 40’s 50’s judging by the lightning zippers.
Can anyone shed anymore light on it? Should I restore it or leave as is?? Leather is great, the lining has been repaired but is doing the job!
Any help much appreciated
Mike

Silver Surfer

just give it a coupla passes with vaseline. it will soften the the hides, without harming anything. my guess is that it is Canadian, as it appears that the zip puller is on right side. if the zip puller was on the left, it would indicate uk, oz, or euro made. the maker company? dunno. most likely 1950s. these longer jackets were know as car coats. at $50 aud, ya got yourself one helova deal.

Kniperider

just give it a coupla passes with vaseline. it will soften the the hides, without harming anything. my guess is that it is Canadian, as it appears that the zip puller is on right side. if the zip puller was on the left, it would indicate uk, oz, or euro made. the maker company? dunno. most likely 1950s. these longer jackets were know as car coats. at $50 aud, ya got yourself one helova deal.
Thanks Silver Surfer, I’ve got some Chamberlains leather milk conditioner, was wondering if it’s recommended for vintage leather like this, if not I’ll grab some Vaseline tomorrow.

mulceber

I'll second the vaseline. I'm not familiar with Chamberlains, and it may be good for all I know, but with vintage leather I wouldn't risk it.

MikeyB-17

Nice find! If you’re going to Vaseline it (or Pecard’s antique leather dressing if you can find it)-GO EASY! Light coating worked in with the fingers, don’t slather it on or you’ll never get rid of the excess.