• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage M-65

MediumMech

Hi folks! My first thread here, please correct me (with gentleness) on all matters of forum etiquette.

I've been hunting for an M-65 in a small/long size, and stumbled across this one online. I wasn't sure what I was going to get, but the jacket is as-advertised, so I'm thrilled! I'm no expert, but I believe this is original. Given the condition, I don't think it spent much time in foxholes though... It's seen moderate use and has sun fading and some light staining, but the cloth is in very good condition overall. Light corrosion on the zips and fasteners, but everything is there, including the hood and drawstrings. It didn't come with a liner, but I'll pick one up at another time.

Front.jpeg
Back.jpeg
Hood.jpeg
Fit.jpeg

MaydayWei

That's a good jacket with a great fit!
Maybe you would want to go one size up if you're thinking of adding a liner and layers underneath for the winter-time. Just food for thought though!

MediumMech

There's actually plenty of room for a jumper underneath or a liner...but you're right, both would probably be constrictive together. Thinking of this jacket as Spring/Fall wear. Winter time is Irvin time! :)

MediumMech

If you have the time, please do a post on that Irvin!
We all do love a good old Irvin on the VLJ. Certain to get you 'in' the old boys club ;)

I will keep that in mind for sure. It's much too hot for Irvin photos right now, but come Fall I will take a few action shots. I do love showing it off!

Thomas Koehle

The jacket is an awesome find - always liked those M65 coz of their various pockets and the possibility to use 'em summer and winter

Again nice score but it looks kinda long on you ... - no offence coz everybody has it's own meaning of "perfect fit" just my opinion

i scored this one a couple of weeks back in "S regular" for my wife - the price was ridiculously low - jacket was just a bit dirty other than that in very good condition

pNUFSdT.jpg

MediumMech

Fit comments appreciated. I was quite surprised that this jacket was as long as it is, the label says it's for anyone 71" or taller, and I'm 73" - with long arms! I kinda like it as a true weather protection coat, and of course, it's the size that would have been issued to me if I had been unfortunate enough to be sent to war in 1967. So I like that as a solemn and important reminder.

In terms of a true "perfect fit," a touch shorter might be nice. I've spent a fair amount of time looking for these jackets, and I'm always surprised how much they vary in size. I look almost exclusively for ones produced before 1970, and the one's I've seen online vary hugely in shoulder width, length, and pit-to-pit. Seems curious for a cloth jacket.

Flightengineer

I hear you like M-65s?
This guy's whole channel was made for you:

Confirm. This is my good friend, we have known each other for many years and were together start to collеct field jackets about 9 or 10 yars ago.
I'm found what I wanted for myself (M43, 51 and several 65) and stop.
But he continued to study and systematize field jackets. Vitaly is really field jacket enciclopedist and knows ALL about this jackets, thousands jackets from his hands and he is also a member of this forum.

Spitfireace

The jacket is an awesome find - always liked those M65 coz of their various pockets and the possibility to use 'em summer and winter

Again nice score but it looks kinda long on you ... - no offence coz everybody has it's own meaning of "perfect fit" just my opinion

i scored this one a couple of weeks back in "S regular" for my wife - the price was ridiculously low - jacket was just a bit dirty other than that in very good condition

pNUFSdT.jpg
Looks like it needs a good wash.

Ed Rooney

I was issued Small-Long BDUs, but got a M/L M-65 jacket. In those days I was about a 40 or 41 jacket. I’m a 42 now, but with larger shoulders, so smalls are too tight. I recently acquired a M/L jacket in Woodland and I feel like I should have got M/R. You go up a size in the M65, in my experience. You might be wearing long Johns, a jeep sweater, BDU blouse and a liner.

Military sizing is so out of wack, or maybe it’s civilian vanity sizing that is off. I am a size 11 in most dress shoes and Footjoy golf shoes, and a 13 in any Nike, but I was a 9 1/2 W in my combat boots.

Wz1999

Hi folks! My first thread here, please correct me (with gentleness) on all matters of forum etiquette.

I've been hunting for an M-65 in a small/long size, and stumbled across this one online. I wasn't sure what I was going to get, but the jacket is as-advertised, so I'm thrilled! I'm no expert, but I believe this is original. Given the condition, I don't think it spent much time in foxholes though... It's seen moderate use and has sun fading and some light staining, but the cloth is in very good condition overall. Light corrosion on the zips and fasteners, but everything is there, including the hood and drawstrings. It didn't come with a liner, but I'll pick one up at another time.

View attachment 63934View attachment 63935View attachment 63937View attachment 63938
Nice jacket in good condition