• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Jackets

Edward

here we go.. its a Korean War blood chit story: " The greatest reward ever given went to the family that aided a B-29 crew shot down on 12 July 1950, two weeks after the start of the Korean War. The crewmen, badly injured, were found by North Korean civilians. Yu Ho Chun found the blood chit in the pocket of one flier. He gave the Americans medical aid. Then, at great personal risk, he put them on a junk and sailed them 100 miles down the coast to safety. Two weeks later the North Korean Army found Chun, tortured him, and then killed him. But, 43 years later in 1993 the United States paid $100,000.00 to his son, Yu Song Dan."

B-Man2

here we go.. its a Korean War blood chit story: " The greatest reward ever given went to the family that aided a B-29 crew shot down on 12 July 1950, two weeks after the start of the Korean War. The crewmen, badly injured, were found by North Korean civilians. Yu Ho Chun found the blood chit in the pocket of one flier. He gave the Americans medical aid. Then, at great personal risk, he put them on a junk and sailed them 100 miles down the coast to safety. Two weeks later the North Korean Army found Chun, tortured him, and then killed him. But, 43 years later in 1993 the United States paid $100,000.00 to his son, Yu Song Dan."
The government certainly took its time on that one.

Edward

here is some interesting documents I found on assigned Blood Chits and number groupings assigned to certain bomb squadrons and groups. it also lists certain numbers that were issued to particular persons whereas larger amounts were merely issued to groups to distribute as needed... also lists certain numbered that were held back for whatever reason...

bloodchit1.jpg
bloodchit2.jpg
bloodchit5.jpg
bloodchit4.jpg

Attachments

• bloodchit4.jpg
    bloodchit4.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Edward

so with the documents above which are not complete you could in theory at least match a blood chit number to whichever bomb squadron or group it was issued to at least. granted fakes are abundant so it may not help much. the first two sheets date 1945 the last two are dated 1943

B-Man2

here is some interesting documents I found on assigned Blood Chits and number groupings assigned to certain bomb squadrons and groups. it also lists certain numbers that were issued to particular persons whereas larger amounts were merely issued to groups to distribute as needed... also lists certain numbered that were held back for whatever reason...

View attachment 22587View attachment 22588View attachment 22589View attachment 22590
Now this is exactly what I was talking about in my original opening post of this thread. This is the kind of info that is good stuff, educational and needs to be shared among us.
Thanks Ed.

Edward

a tad more info on blood chits then we should steer back (see what I did there?!) to the original topic...

Original Chinese government Blood Chits issued to the AVG are serial numbered only into the 2000's.
Blood Chits were also issued by the British military in India and by the War Department in Washington, D.C. War Department Blood Chits are numbered into the 10,000's with the serial number preceded by the letter "W" indicating Washington. Blood Chits without serial numbers were created by local artisans in various sizes and using various materials including paper, cotton, silk, rayon and leather. These variations are not serial numbered and of course lack the official chop. The quality of these Blood Chits varies, as do the messages and Chinese characters.

As an indication that payment had been made, the Blood Chit was torn in half, one half given back to the person receiving the payment and the other half being returned to the flier. Having been torn in half, the Blood Chit could not be presented again for payment. Shown below is such a Blood Chit.
torn2a.jpg

Edward

oh and it was common practice to sew a chit onto the back of the jacket until someone decided you could be singled out and made a target by the Communist Party of China or in other hostile territory not entirely sympathetic to the allies and weren't particularly friendly and could hold or shoot downed allied men against the wishes of the Chinese nationalists... so it was more in their safety to sew the chit on the inside of the jacket.

Changeling

That Irvin jacket looks to me like an early pre war made jacket because of the lack of horizontal seams. It was not until a few years ago I realised that Leslie Irvin was an American and read about the parachute he designed and made in England, so even the famous British flying jacket was American designed, thank you America for some great jackets

Last edited:

B-Man2

Someone correct me if I`m wrong, but that Irvin jacket looks to me like an early pre war made jacket because of the lack of horizontal seams. It was not until a few years ago I realised that Leslie Irvin was an American and read about the parachute he designed and made in England, so even the famous British flying jacket was American designed, thank you America for some great jackets
The top jacket ( Warings ) is an early example of the jacket. It very closely dates to around 1936, and has been also known as the Battle of Britain Irvin Jacket.
The second Irvin posted by Spitfireace is a mid to late war Irvin which had the sewn together panels of sheepskin.

Last edited:

Steve27752

exactly. which is why I don't feel the least bit guilty about derailing this thread onto Blood Chits as they were a part of many jackets in the CBI and by ATC Hump pilots during the war. its related! lol!
Why not keep this as a jacket thread and create a separate Blood Chit thread?

Edward

Why not keep this as a jacket thread and create a separate Blood Chit thread?
nah, I think we've exhausted the Blood Chit discussion.... lol! sorry to derail the thread but we can get back on track if people would contribute pics of their original vintage jackets!