• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VINTAGE DENIM WORK WEAR

Grant

Here' a pair of well worn vintage denim dungarees. Given the simple utilitarian cut, lack of a cinch back, double and not triple stitching, slubby denim and small laurel wreath buttons, my guess is they're wartime work dungarees. The careful mending and patching shows they were well taken care of and worn hard. The rips in the bottom legs could be from barbed wire, but that's just a guess!

D2A.jpg
D1.jpg
D3.jpg
D5.jpg
D6.jpg
D4.jpg

mulceber

Man, you're not kidding about well-worn and well-cared for. This may be me being a novice, but I find it interesting that they were using snaps on the top button. Seems like that would be prone to coming undone.

Last edited:

B-Man2

This is the kind of vintage stuff we need to see and learn more about . Growing up in the early 1950s I can say that these jeans were probably owned by someone or the children of someone who lived through the Great Depression era. I had jeans that looked like these with patched knees and seat, and faded by years of hanging in the sun drying after being washed . The patching of jeans was typical of this period and was nothing that was out of the ordinary . People and parents who grew up in the depression era never threw much away .
Great post !!

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

Happy to see quality vintage stuff on VLJ, I mean we can appreciate every word of the title independently. In this case Vintage! I just showed the patches to my girlfriend as we were looking for inspiration for a pair of modern indigo selvedge that needs exactly this type of attention.

And, what a nice pair to wear! Like the snap button at the waist, paired with donuts for the rest. Thanx for sharing!

D

johnwayne

Always loved vintage denim until it got trendy and hi-jacked! Always thought dungarees had the bid front? Ive always thought of those as carpenter pants, hence side pocket albeit think they are often on bib-dungarees too.
Have a nice pair of Lee bib that my wife now wheres very occasionally and somewhere a battered pair of Oshkosh carpenters that prob a bit tight now, arghh!!!!

Grant

Dungarees were/are worn by factory workers, farmers and yes painters as well.
I grew up wearing overalls and still have my old Oshkosh and Super Pay Day ovrealls. I still wear them and my Carhartts! They go great with an A-2!!

B-Man2

This is a cool thread …. I’m learning things about periods in time and blue Jean companies, who’s Dungaree's ( we never called them jeans back then ) I wore in the 1950s … but never realized the significance of those companies or the era I was raised in. Grew up in a poor section of Philly and I had 2 pair of Wrangler dungarees . One for everyday use .. crawling around on the concrete sidewalks or playing tackle football on the concrete school yard across the street , and the other pair for dress up weekends . As the first pair got patched to the point of excess , they eventually got trashed and the weekend dress ups became my daily wearers . A trip down the street to the corner clothing store got me a new set of Wranglers for the cost of $3.25., and the rotation started all over again .
This thread has my vote to turn it into its own section or topic .

johnwayne

Got my first Levi’s from what was known an army surplus stores, the like of which we still had many in the UK in the 60’s. They actually had what appeared to be glued in rectangular knee patches on the inside but as a kid they were fine ‘cos they was Levi’s! Think they cost around £3.00 in today’s money. Ironically I’m certain those stores was where I saw my first A2’s and Irvins - if only I knew then what I know now!!!