• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage A2 info/price? would appreciate the help

yomegui

Hi everyone, just posted my first post here about my G1 just before.

I am new here, and new to the vintage jacket world, but I really like them.
I have read articles on internet and posts here to try to educate myself as much as I could but Im still early on in my adventure so still very much a noob. Would love to learn from you guys!

I am now looking to acquire a cool A2.
I have a friend with an A2 who is selling it and I really like it!
Here are some pictures. I guess the shoulder patch is the USAF patch, but what about the 8ball painted patch, any one has info?
What would be a fair price for this jacket do you think?

hgfhgfhhfghh.JPG
194232216_305688487727634_1410196144949899644_n.jpg

199184490_773780823322744_5762937110277101741_n.jpg
aaaaazz.JPG

swfxcvxcxcv.JPG

Also, where do you recommend finding vintage A2 as such, are there specialized websites you would recommend? Ive found those two websites that seem to sell very nice but pricey pieces:
ima-usa.com and lostworldsinc.com, are those fair valued/reputable websites?

Thanks a lot for your help and I look forward to reading your answers and learning from you guys!
(again sorry for those noob questions, pretty new to all this)

Cheers

Gui

Attachments

• 194815812_309756987361943_300298351403665460_n.jpg
    194815812_309756987361943_300298351403665460_n.jpg
    941.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 194704816_143545454503113_6663208694462075019_n.jpg
    194704816_143545454503113_6663208694462075019_n.jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 128

warguy

There are a lot of factors that go into estimating the value of original A2 jackets. Condition, size, unit, whether it is identified to the original owner or not, whether the knits and cuffs and or zipper have been replaced, etc. Looking at the pics you have of this jacket, it is apparent to me there are stitch marks for what appears to have been a name tag removed and a patch on the right breast. The AAF patch on the shoulder appears new in comparison with the condition of the rest of the jacket. I can’t tell if the zipper has been replaced or not and there is no size on the tag. The cuffs and waistband look kind of new so I assume they have been replaced. Your pics don’t allow for a good assessment of whether the 8 ball patch is real and if it might be original to the jacket. I would proceed with caution if you are looking for a piece of history. If you want one to wear, just make sure you get it at a good price. Real A2’s in rough condition or replaced parts can start around $400.

yomegui

There are a lot of factors that go into estimating the value of original A2 jackets. Condition, size, unit, whether it is identified to the original owner or not, whether the knits and cuffs and or zipper have been replaced, etc. Looking at the pics you have of this jacket, it is apparent to me there are stitch marks for what appears to have been a name tag removed and a patch on the right breast. The AAF patch on the shoulder appears new in comparison with the condition of the rest of the jacket. I can’t tell if the zipper has been replaced or not and there is no size on the tag. The cuffs and waistband look kind of new so I assume they have been replaced. Your pics don’t allow for a good assessment of whether the 8 ball patch is real and if it might be original to the jacket. I would proceed with caution if you are looking for a piece of history. If you want one to wear, just make sure you get it at a good price. Real A2’s in rough condition or replaced parts can start around $400.

Thanks Warguy, I didnt pay attention to those details you mentionned, your info is super helpful :D

Nickb123

Could you please explain what you mean? Im a bit lost ^^

Last edited:

Nickb123

Thanks for the link! So the fact it has no contract name means it is less valuable compared to other jackets having a contract name, or maybe those are more rare therefore more valuable? (all else being equal)

I can’t speak to dollar amount.Many here know way more than I do. Someone said it was a relatively large contract during the war. Likely made by Cable Raincoat Company from Boston. Not super rare but certainly neat.

The value will be in condition and insignia and provenance. Try to find which squadron that patch belonged to, look for any signs of stitch holes to see if the patch is original to the jacket. Looks to be but I wouldn’t know. Find info on the squadron; may be a search but this is the fun part! You definitely have a piece of real history.

Pilot

Please share where a “ refurbished” WW2 A-2 can be bought for arround 400 US$
Thx.

warguy

Pilot I haven’t set up a data base of online sales cataloguing jackets I have seen over the years' but I have seen them. Have seen some at shows as well. Here is a Perry on the bay currently with a start price at $395 and a BIN at $895. It will likely sell somewhere in between but is also in better condition than what I was referring to. So, as you can see, you can have an original for less than a used Eastman or GW.

In the $400 range I am talking jackets with tattered knits, maybe a missing or replaced liner, poor condition leather, etc. I have been collecting militaria for 33 years, and have seen the prices on original A2’s in general drop (even nicer ones) in the past few years here in the States.

Last edited:

warguy

Sorry the listing above is the not the Perry, it is an unknown manufacturer. Here is the Perry at BIN $895 with seller accepting offers. It really isn’t a bad jacket, leather seems decent, liner and tag in place, wearable size, just needs new knits. Once again not the $400 jacket I was referring to, but also in better condition. Just trying to establish a base for the original poster.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Hi @yomegui

I have seen one like yours being sold for 960$us a couple years ago. The patch seems to be genuine and yours seems to have a rip on the shoulder, so I would be very careful when handling it. That definitely affects the value in most cases. Here are some pics of the other jacket, it is even the same contract.
I hope that helps.

Nice find,
Jorge
B15C9872-4522-4F8A-8771-11089E186E0D.jpeg
3D6ECC64-EB76-4342-A821-65BA048928FC.jpeg
06F8D573-6BDA-4B56-97E3-DCE9BB5D3B17.jpeg

Last edited:

yomegui

Hi @yomegui

I have seen one like yours being sold for 960$us a couple years ago. The patch seems to be genuine and yours seems to have a rip on the shoulder, so I would be very careful when handling it. That definitely affects the value in most cases. Here are some pics of the other jacket, it is even the same contract.
I hope that helps.

Nice find,
Jorge
View attachment 62686View attachment 62687View attachment 62688

Jorge thanks for the info!!!
This is so helpful. Well it seems indeed that everything matches to my friends Jacket, beside the shoulder patch. And as Warguy mentionned, the shoulder patch seemed to be supiciously neat compared to the rest of the jacket, so might be added later on, and on the Jacket you share here it seems not to have a shoulder patch. So I guess, beside the shoulder patch, it seems to be a very decent jacket.

Could the 8ball mean 8th squadron?

I wear my jackets, I dont buy to store. As per the small hole in the shoulder, from your experience, if wearing this jacket from time to time wont affect the wearing and wont tear appart, or this kind of hole should absolutely be repaired? (I mean this jacket is like 70 years old I guess so if it has held well until now I guess I shouldnt be worried its a tough piece, but would love your hear opinion on that)

Thanks
Yomegui

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

The patch could be an unofficial variation of the 8th Photo Recon Sq., but I cannot confirm that.
As far as wearing it, if you can post more pics of the jacket and some close-up from the shoulder hole, maybe we can have a better idea. Some repairs are not noticeable and some others might even affect the value of the jacket. That area of the shoulder is complicated in most cases.

As a side note, my first wearable A-2 was from this contract, the jacket was mint and super solid but sadly, it felt a bit tight on me.

Last edited:

warguy

Jorge, what a gorgeous example and fantastic find. You don’t see many originals that nice looking. My first original A2 purchase was a Bronco in similar condition, also a bit too snug for me to wear. It had a BO smell in it so bad you could hardly keep it in the house. Nothing I could do would rid the smell!