• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very rare Arnoff TYPE AN-J-3A Size 38 but salty on Ebay

Dany McDonald

Spotted this rare bird but salty and somewhat modified. Jacket is in bad shape overall but it still has a beautiful visible silver/white US stencil, original folded A-2 style waistband, maker tag is solid and the liner is salvageable . But the Conmar zip is gone and the unique buttons (to this contract) have been replaced with snaps! The two spares are still there. The rot spots may be solidified its hard to say from the keyboard...

Because of its rarity it should/could be restored. What do you think?

D

Smithy

Spotted this rare bird but salty and somewhat modified. Jacket is in bad shape overall but it still has a beautiful visible silver/white US stencil, original folded A-2 style waistband, maker tag is solid and the liner is salvageable . But the Conmar zip is gone and the unique buttons (to this contract) have been replaced with snaps! The two spares are still there. The rot spots may be solidified its hard to say from the keyboard...

Because of its rarity it should/could be restored. What do you think?

D

Needs serious TLC and repairs if someone wanted to wear it again but it looks sound and doable, and if possible would probably end up looking superb (and especially if someone like Steve got his hands on it). Typical small mid century size though.

Dany McDonald

Needs serious TLC and repairs if someone wanted to wear it again but it looks sound and doable, and if possible would probably end up looking superb (and especially if someone like Steve got his hands on it). Typical small mid century size though.

I am sure its feasible to a certain extent of satisfaction, but the removal of the snap buttons may leave a hole or scar. The rot is there to stay in my opinion. I'd go for a sympathetic restoration and try to keep most of the original material intact.

Contract number on that spec tag -- worth researching?

Its a legit contract, and you can clearly see it on the tag. I forgot to put it in my initial post.

TYPE AN-J-3A ARNOFF MFG. COMPANY CONTRACT NO. N288 S-24248

D

Dany McDonald

Nick, yeah, if you like originals with a different personality those jackets are for you. I know I do. That's why I cherish my original Bogen AN6552 with the Red folded A-2 style waistband...
I love that stencil by the way!

D