• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very large WWII USAAF A2 and uniform grouping to a Navigator in the CBI Theater

warguy

In 33 years of collecting militaria, this has to be one of my grail finds, and remains today a highlight of my collection. It is the only grouping where I have had the honor of purchasing directly from the veteran. I was thrilled to interview and document this vets story. I haven't posted this group before, but now in retirement, have more time and thought other members of this forum might be interested in seeing this.

In 1998, a buddy of mine told me he was brokering the sale of a foot locker and uniforms that belonged to a veteran who lived in a town 30 minutes south of us. I went my friends house and was thrilled to find a footlocker with numerous uniforms, pants, socks, boots, shoes, hats etc., that all belonged to a man who was a Navigator on a B24 bomber flying out of the China Burma India theater. My buddy had met the veteran at a recent B-17 fly in at our local airport and they became acquainted. The vet had indicated he had no one in the family interested in this "stuff" so he had decided to sell. I was intent on buying the material, but then my friend showed me a photograph he had taken of the veteran at our airport. The vet was wearing one of the most beautiful A2 flight jackets I had seen.

I contacted the veteran that evening. His name is Bob. I told Bob I was going to buy his foot locker and the uniforms at his asking price. I then made him a very strong offer for the grouping if he would consider selling the jacket as part of the group. He said he would think about it. Bob called me the next day and agreed to the offer. He then drove to my home where I interviewed him for two hours about his experiences in WWII. I have his history well documented. He must have told me no less than a dozen times he was no hero, yet he described a close call when a piece of flak entered an ammo box he was standing on, and his shock in watching another plane crash on take off killing the whole crew. He described being attacked by Japanese fighters, and watching ground crews load their guns as they passed 5000 feet overhead. In my eyes, he most certainly was a hero.

Briefly, Bob entered the Army Air Force March 10, 1942. He spent much of the next two years training, arriving in India on the 28th of May, 1944. He completed 43 missions prior to returning home. He was part of the 7th Bomb Group, 463rd Bomb Squadron in the 10th Air Force. This squadron had the distinction of flying the longest mission of the war, approximately 18 hours in the air. He had recollections of the money he carried each flight in case he was shot down. He stated the jump boots in the collection were issued after flyers were breaking their ankles bailing out. He described the heels of the boots as slanted to avoid getting tangled with the shrouds. Bob also described himself as a "real Habberdasher". He said he liked to buy top quality tailored uniforms and bullion insignia as he was very eager to look good. There were other memories he shared that I included in a biography he was kind enough to proof read and correct.

Everything photographed here belonged to Bob with the exception of the two 50 mission crusher caps. His caps were in extremely poor condition. All of the material (over 125 individual items) have his name neatly written inside in block letters. Most of the insignia is theater produced. The footlocker still contains numerous additional shirts, some with patches, pants, socks, rain jacket, a large assortment of his orders and squadron paperwork, etc. There is a gorgeous M43 jacket that Bob said he wore on a few missions. He said the large hip pockets were perfect to carry a sandwich or two. All metal insignia including the wings belonged to Bob and were worn wartime. The ribbon bars on the class A chocolate tunic are both his. He was awarded the DFC as well as the Air medal with oak leaf clusters. I have included some photos of actual receipts for the purchase of some of these uniforms by Bob during the war. It is a treat for a uniform collector to see these receipts!

The foot locker has a broken lock and Bob stated his house was broken into after the war and the burglar broke the lock off the foot locker but didn't take anything. We are all fortunate for that.

A2 flight jacket

The A2 flight jacket in this grouping is for me the pinnacle of this collection. It is a size 40 and made by Perry Sportwear. I believe it is horsehide. It has some of the particular features of Perry Sportswear jackets of this contract including a three piece wind fly, and off set hanger stitched in the neck and a collar stand. It is in beautiful condition with no rips, tears, holes, etc. It has its original liner, zipper and the knits and all are in great condition. It is nicely named to Bob inside. The name tag on the outside has Bobs name in English, Chinese and Burmese. Inside is a large American flag sewn to the back and a beautiful issued Blood Chit sewn to the liner on one side. It is one of the nicest original A2's I have seen in terms of condition, etc.

I have a lot of photographs to follow to give you a sense of the magnitude of this collection. I will forever be grateful to Bob for allowing me to preserve his history and service in WWII.
IMG_1526.JPG
IMG_1527.JPG
IMG_1528.JPG
IMG_1531.JPG
IMG_1532.JPG
IMG_1533.JPG
IMG_1526.JPG
IMG_1534.JPG
IMG_1535.JPG
IMG_1536.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG

Last edited:

Smithy

That's just an incredible collection and as you say, Holy Grail stuff. The fact you bought it direct from the gentleman in question and were able to interview him makes it even better.

The big items are terrific as we all know but I love how this has the little things like mess and tailor receipts, items that are rare to see and seldom survive.

Hopefully you didn't leave it all outside in that harsh sun for too long, everything there including and especially the documents are UV sensitive now due to age.

ausreenactor

That's just an incredible collection and as you say, Holy Grail stuff. The fact you bought it direct from the gentleman in question and were able to interview him makes it even better.

The big items are terrific as we all know but I love how this has the little things like mess and tailor receipts, items that are rare to see and seldom survive.

Hopefully you didn't leave it all outside in that harsh sun for too long, everything there including and especially the documents are UV sensitive now due to age.
Certainly one of the better finds in recent history.

Grant

Simply amazing collection, and super cool to see an original Perry in such wonderful condition. That patched M-41 is also a real stunner! Thanks for sharing your amazing collection!

warguy

The boots were made by International Shoe Co., and dated 1943. The glasses are not marked as to maker, Bob has of course penned his name and ID to the case like everything else in the grouping. I think the glasses case might be pigskin. Also included some pics.
IMG_1574.JPG
IMG_1575.JPG
IMG_1576.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG

johnwayne

Incredible and as much as I like the Ike jacket the A2 still wins in desire-ability IMHO but what pleases me most is that you, someones who appreciates its history has got it rather than unscrupulous dealer! Please treasure it as I’m sure you will, am I’m envious, you bet I am!!! Thank you too for posting.