• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Verification of label on G-1

Len

Hi, I'm new to this forum and flight jackets in general. I am considering buying a "vintage" G-1. The jacket looks correct in detail. The collar is not mouton but from my research this may be correct for the year. I don't have a picture of the label but it reads as follows:
Jacket, Flyers
Intermediate, Type G-1
SIZE 40
MIL-J-7823E (AS)
RALPH EDWARDS SPORTSWEAR, INC.
8415-00 268-7799
DLA100-84-C-0665

The label is white, the type is black and centered correctly (I have a nomex CWU-36 and compared to the label on that jacket, this one looks ok. Any feedback will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Atticus

Hi Len,

Welcome to the forum.

The jacket you are considering is a 1984, E-series Ralph Edwards. While it is not really collectable from a vintage standpoint, it is likely to be an excellent jacket for wearing. I think that most here would agree that RE was among the better of the G-1 contractors---even when speaking of E-series jackets.

BTW, you are correct about the collar. Unless it has been replaced, it is Dynal. Mouton collared G-1s disappeared toward the end of 1969.

AF

MikeyB-17

Hi, Welcome. As AF rightly points out, it's not terribly collectible, but a good solid wearer nonetheless. Don't know what your budget is, but it might be worth hanging on for a black label G-1, which generally tend to be better made, with nicer goatskin, and pre '69, have proper mouton collars. You can pick up a decent 60's G-1 on Ebay for not too much money if you're patient. Of course, Ebay may not be your thing, and you may not be as anal about flight jackets as most of us on here, in which case the Ralph Edwards you're looking at ought to do you fine.

Len

Thanks for the replies. I know that 1984 can't really be considered vintage. I guess it's the quality of the manufacturer that counts.
I can move onto collectables next.