• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vera Voulik Leather Artworks

VeraVoulik

Pinup's work nearly done, all colors and details from original Petty's art.

mwd4.JPG
mwd5.JPG
mwd6.JPG

flyincowboy

Well done Vera! Just wondering about having some painting on the back of my 5 ***** ROUGHWEAR ..... A tribute... jacket may need a bit of weathering.. will let you know ...

Last edited:

Yardstick

Great work Vera :)

To my eye the grey you've used on the caricature bomb figure is a little on the dark side. A lighter shade of grey would give better contrast and allow more of the detail to show (like the original embroidered patch below).

613th BS_401st BG (2).jpg

VeraVoulik

Great work Vera :)

To my eye the grey you've used on the caricature bomb figure is a little on the dark side. A lighter shade of grey would give better contrast and allow more of the detail to show (like the original embroidered patch below).

View attachment 69471

Yes, I've studyed all original 613th patch existing, embroidered and painted ones, colors are sometimes very different, but most of them were in quite 'pastels' colors (like original Disney drawing), roundels green or yellow, shoes grey or black or brown, bomb light grey, grey or white... Even the face sometimes varies. I made quite a file on this topic and exposed it to the customer, letting him choose.
Customer wanted more bright striking colors and a dark grey for the bomb.

Here is a sample of field made on leather and one made on the base:

ON7767__26_66f1567f-82bb-459e-82ac-d22d6500b32c.jpg
32744746_10155758150292462_8695852153421430784_n.jpg

ausreenactor

Yes, I've studyed all original 613th patch existing, embroidered and painted ones, colors are sometimes very different, but most of them were in quite 'pastels' colors (like original Disney drawing), roundels green or yellow, shoes grey or black or brown, bomb light grey, grey or white... Even the face sometimes varies. I made quite a file on this topic and exposed it to the customer, letting him choose.
Customer wanted more bright striking colors and a dark grey for the bomb.

Here is a sample of field made on leather and one made on the base:

View attachment 69510View attachment 69511
Is that sign wonky? One job... well two.... 'Freedom' and put up sign.

VeraVoulik

No problems Vera - I understand 100%. The customer get, what the customer wants... :D

BTW my squadron patch reference library is now over 5,000 images!

Thanks ;) I guess you have a huge references on patches. As you have understood, I rarely make patches, only when it comes with a full artwork, so I collect documents only on the one I make. There are already a lot of people doing patches, better than me on this job.

VeraVoulik

Yankee Wahine

Working on the replica A-2 jacket as worn by Leslie B. Moore, member of Dale Darby's crew, 351st Bomb Squadron, 100th Bomb Group. I recommend you the page on 100th BG Foundation which contain accurate diary of his missions, 33!

https://100thbg.com/index.php?option=com_bombgrp...

Original jacket is now in Leslie B. Moore's grandson hands, Les, who very kindly helped me on this project.

Seems every member of this crew made the same design jacket with variation in letterings, with each a different pin-up of 1944's Vargas serie.
The jacket I was asked to paint is made by Five Star Leather, in nice supple horsehide.
Works began with the recreation of original lettering, first layers in white and then added pin-up's profile 1st layers. Blue is now ongoing.

130712112610000000les_yankee_wahine.jpg
DSC01781.JPG
DSC01772.JPG
DSC01775.JPG
DSC01776.JPG