• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vera Voulik Leather Artworks

VeraVoulik

An interesting technique. I usually draw the background first (clouds or sky) and then the plane.

I make the backgound first only when using watercolors on paper, but with acrylics and enamels, I prefer to start with the main subject. I use small splatters which allow not to make mistakes. After, my sky and clouds will be unified slowly. Doing so, you can have some very striking contrasts. I think there are as many ways as there are artists.

VeraVoulik

Final steps on the A-2 with a 92nd BG's B-17 on its back. This commission was about a specific B-17 shot down in July 28, 1943 after a mission over Kassel.
The very nose art was designed by the pilot. Ben F. Smotherman.

b17f1.JPG

b17f2.JPG
b17f3.JPG

VeraVoulik

Next commission works began, on a wonderful A-2 Eastman Leather, Star contract. This jacket is stunning, it was sold to the actual owner by someone of this forum I believe, not an easy-to(find jacket!

A pinup from Elvgren's ones will be the inspiration but hands and arms won't be the same: the girl will be playing with 2 paper planes like on the picture I've made.

a2star1.JPG
a2star.JPG

Cocker

Just saw the finished product, as I know the owner of the jacket, and you did an amazing job!!

I stand by what I've already said, your art is, IMO, the closed to period art out there. Congratulations!

Lorenzo_l

That's an amazing piece of work, Vera!
And I also love the pictures of your hand at work. The true hand of an artist - like it had a mind of its own.