• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vera Voulik Leather Artworks

bseal

A648D178-435C-4DBC-BB68-9FAF6AC22CB3.jpeg

VeraVoulik

Hi Vera - how do you find it painting on goatskin? Personally, I like the 'pebbly' texture and the extra character it brings to the artwork.

Hi, Goatskin is not so easy to paint when you have little variation to make. Painting skin or faces is quite difficult cause paint tends to infiltrate in all little holes on surface but I think I've managed to make something nice.

detail.JPG

Yardstick

Hi, Goatskin is not so easy to paint when you have little variation to make. Painting skin or faces is quite difficult cause paint tends to infiltrate in all little holes on surface but I think I've managed to make something nice.

I think you've done a great job. Personally, I like the little imperfections, they add character and reflect the nature of the material you are working with.

Your work seems to follow a similar ethos to my own. That is, it reflects the better end of the art styles of the originals. It would be easy to 'improve' compositions or 'correct' minor technical errors but in doing so you would end up with something that was out of context with the work we are trying to emulate. In my opinion you get the balance spot on.

Yardstick

I remember once seeing an original picture of some ground crew painting a batch of 422nd NFS patches in the field (literally in this case - sitting on some upturned oil drums). Did a quick search but failed to find it. However, it is one of the few images I have come across depicting patches being produced - there are plenty showing nose art being painted. I thought it might be appropriate given the 422nd patch you have just done.

VeraVoulik

I remember once seeing an original picture of some ground crew painting a batch of 422nd NFS patches in the field (literally in this case - sitting on some upturned oil drums). Did a quick search but failed to find it. However, it is one of the few images I have come across depicting patches being produced - there are plenty showing nose art being painted. I thought it might be appropriate given the 422nd patch you have just done.

I have put the original picture I have just up the patch I made on the previous post. It's the only I know of 422nd being made.

VeraVoulik

Yes, I think that's the one :). I seem to remember the version I saw being from a wider angle but maybe that is just my imagination.

Never seen any other picture thant the very one I posted. I hope to find it, one day, in better size and resolution ;)