• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valstar Valstarino Lined Bomber Jacket

Hi all, I thought I'd introduce myself properly -- I popped by one of the A2 discussion threads a couple days ago. I got interested in leather jackets last year
and purchased an Aero Hooch Hauler Black size 38. It fits great -- quite snug when I wear a heavy sweater, which is to be expected for that model of jacket.
The sleeves and back are 23 inches and fit quite well. In fact, it was the first leather jacket I've ever purchased that fit me correctly. And the first proper leather jacket...

My interest in purchasing an A2 came from purchasing an A1 style jacket (you guys know how it is). I've attached some pics -- it's a Valstar Valstarino lined bomber jacket. They're made in Italy. It's goat suede so I don't even want to wear it when it's cloudy, in case it rains! (That happens a lot in NZ.) It's very different from the war-ready jackets I've seen on the forum.

I'd be interested in hearing your wisdom and experiences with Aero's A2. I've been in contact already and they've suggested either the Bronco or 1938 contract -- they are the slimmer models. Any suggestions for the kind of leather & colour? -- I was thinking Russet. My Hooch Hauler (as I mentioned previously) is a heavy HH leather. Is that OK for the A2s?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• P8010028.jpg
    P8010028.jpg
    773.8 KB · Views: 888
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 23.55.15.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 23.55.15.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,845
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 17.04.07.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 17.04.07.png
    567.1 KB · Views: 1,801

Cocker

Hi! First of all, that A-1, although not technically an A-1 but more of a civilian take on the A-1, looks quite great!

Regarding the A-2, I wouldn't go the heavy HH way. It will be too heavy a leather for an A-2 and will not drape as well as it should. Now, it depends on what you are looking for: authenticity, look, durability, or are you just in for an A-2 jacket that will look the way you want it, disregarding if it's matching the historical Aero contract or not?

Personally, I'd go for the Jerky HH. That's what my Aero is made of, and it's draping like a charm and has tons of character. The finish is not quite as resistant as the Vicenza leather, but after 3 years of wear, it's aging really nicely!

MikeyB-17

That is, as you say, very similar to the A-1, which is very popular here, and it looks good. They were originally made of capeskin, a type of South African sheep (exactly what kind of sheep has been the subject of some controversy here of late-well if certain parties, now departed, were to be believed), and are reproduced by several companies in similar stuff. Very easy to wear I hear.
Cocker is spot on regarding A-2 hide. I used to think the thicker the better, but having owned jackets in thick, dense hides, I changed my tune completely and now would go for a lighter hide every time. Far more comfortable, and not necessarily any less tough, and probably more authentic too. I think I would be looking at the Jerky myself if I was in the market for an Aero A-2. Somebody posted a pic of one back along, and it looked awesome.

Thanks all for your replies and welcomes. I certainly like the Jerky HH. What do you think about Seal Goatskin? That's nice as well. Probably going with Seal, and maybe rust cuffs.

I'm discussing with Aero and it looks like the standard size for the 38 is back 25" and sleeves 25". That's an inch longer than my Hooch Hauler (it's 24" and not 23" as I said previously). I think the Hauler is a shorter model of jacket and the A-2 is not. The 25" sleeve seems acceptable. If the cuffs are somewhat tight around the wrists, that would be perfect.

Aero's a great company to deal with and make great jackets. I'm a bit put off by other company's whose tone is rather harsh on their websites... No refunds? Seriously?

zoomer

Bless Valstar for keeping the classic golf/flight jacket style alive all these decades.
That is a handsome jacket indeed - the inverse pleat pockets really make it.
In Italy this is what stylish older men wear instead of cardigans.

Bless Valstar for keeping the classic golf/flight jacket style alive all these decades.
That is a handsome jacket indeed - the inverse pleat pockets really make it.
In Italy this is what stylish older men wear instead of cardigans.
Thanks zoomer, much appreciated. The leather is very nice. The jacket seems delicate, but well constructed. I'd prefer to wear this jacket only on sunny days... on the golf course (if I played golf that is). Hence I'm looking at A-2s for a more robust jacket which could be worn in the often rainy weather here in NZ.