• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

V505 maker A-2. Photos and info anyone?

Andrew

I recall seeing a picture somewhere on the net of a theatre made A-2 by the factory V505 which was either Staggs or Lasicas which I believe is in a Japanese collection. Here's a shot of the label which I pinched from a site but that unfortunately just has the label. I wonder what contract was used for a pattern? I presume it had it's own rules...

V505.jpg

Here's a shot of a glove from a pair I have with the same makers label. interestingly the tag is exactly the same as the ones they used on the gloves. The ones they used in flying helmets were a bit different.

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

Anyone know where to look for it or have a copy of a shot of it on file or know anything about it?

Jason

I remember seeing it once on ebay, maybe 2 or 3 years ago. Wish I'd saved pics from back then. If memory serves correct, it looked a little like an Aero - Roughwear hybrid and quite an orange hide.

Didn't I hear somewhere that V505 was issued to a maker that was located in Melbourne? Does that pinpoint it to one of the two candidates?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Jason said:
Didn't I hear somewhere that V505 was issued to a maker that was located in Melbourne? Does that pinpoint it to one of the two candidates?

That's as far as we got last time, on VLJ 3, with Andrew telling us that V was for Victoria, and probably one of the two makers.

The eBay jacket that I remember was expensive, and listed several times out of California. It looked like a civilian version, and with the seller alleging that it was probably kangaroo hide, some speculation was involved.

So we need some proof, otherwise all the makers lists may be just picturing a jacket with a glove label. It's like the NZ made Irvin ... a militaria collector just told me that he'd seen several, great, but I want photos.

Andrew

Yes, that's correct David. The "V" is a wartime code and stands for Victoria (all contractors names were coded this way after 1942) and there is still a Stagg Leathergoods in Melbourne but they aren't answering their phone. I hope to get a call back sometime. They have made leather bike jackets there in recent times so there may be some connection.
Here's the site the label photo came from;

http://www29.discuss.com.hk/viewthread.php?tid=2953744

I'm surprised no one saved a picture of it- myself included.

With regard to the NZ Irvin, I have seen a picture of a pair of NZ manufactured Irvin trousers, comlete with label, though unfortunately David no pictures :oops:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
With regard to the NZ Irvin, I have seen a picture of a pair of NZ manufactured Irvin trousers, comlete with label, though unfortunately David no pictures :oops:

Yes, I've seen the trousers ... The Sheepskin Glove Co. Wanganui 1944, so I'm happy about that. It's a logical assumption that they also made the jackets, I just need to find one.

Here's the usual list of A-2 makers, like yours, but in a different format ...

http://www.flight-jacket.net/encycroped ... 2rabe.html

Most of it we know to be correct, but as these lists are copied, there is no way to verify V505 without an original source.

Andrew

Yes, there's a chance that it is just a one off or made up item using a glove label. Seems a little surprising that only one seems to have surfaced over recent years if they were an item that was made up as needed and there were plenty of guys based here who could have used one of these. Other theatre made stuff (uniforms and crushers) pops up reasonably regularly.

Maybe this is one of the NZ made Irvins.......interesting addition of the press studs.

http://www.warbirdsite.com/museumclothing.html

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
Maybe this is one of the NZ made Irvins.......interesting addition of the press studs.

http://www.warbirdsite.com/museumclothing.html

Oh yeah, I've seen that, apparently it's a regular British Made Irvin with local mods. You're lucky we didn't tie it together with No. 8 fencing wire. :)

Keep working on the Melbourne A-2, it would be fun to find one from 'close to home'.

Andrew

Thanks for the gif Gleb, it looks to be a different one from the label shot. This would suggest that they were possibly made as a batch.

Great find- is this your jacket, i'd love to know where it is and which BG and Sqn it was from. Any guesses as to the pattern- the collar looks very Dubow but the eps are v. wide. Stands to reason they had to have something to copy from I guess.

I don't know what kind of leather it is but to me it looks like goat. Roo has more the smooth and creased appearance of HH, but I suppose back then HH would have been widely available here as well.

tamoko

After some reserche :)
Not this is not my jacket. To small (SIZE 36"-38") condition so so and relatively expensive, $1200 ++.
sold Feb-01-06 to US Buyer "srwestwood" #7212974223.
You can try to ask him for more info.
Check PM for more info.