• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

V505 Aussie A-2 on auction

Thank you!

I found a link.

Looks like A-2 style jackets made to meet current RAAF specifications (goatskin was found to be an excellent flame retardant and, therefore, an RAAF requirement versus he original V505 made of cow skin).
I have the A2 jacket (which is built fairly accurately to the WW2 style)
But they actually have a poster up on the front counter calling for interest in the V505 as a 75th anniversary of the end of WW2.....so although I said they were making them I was incorrect.....they will probably produce it if there is enough interest
Also these weren't just used by the USAAF but also by the RAAF in the warriways and boomerang aircraft (or so my grandfather said,that's what him and the other transport flyers did at fisherman's bend )

2BM2K

It's being done through Christie's Sydney
Not a reproduction company......but they do have the drawings for it as well as a "stock" goatskin A2
Their website isn't the best (they the guy is lightening in replying to emails) but I saw it afew weeks ago

That is interesting news. If they put the message on-line they might get more responses.

The bit I find most interesting is that they say they have the drawings. Do they mean the original wartime drawings?

That is interesting news. If they put the message on-line they might get more responses.

The bit I find most interesting is that they say they have the drawings. Do they mean the original wartime drawings?

That could be the case......our national archives in Canberra tends to have alot of items......but never enough archivists to get a handle on what they have
And this isn't Christie's core business by any means......more into medal mounting and badges/patches

kirova

interesting news about Christie's doing a V505, since I don't work in the city anymore I haven't stop by their shop for a while.

back in the good old days, there were several army disposal stores along Pitt St (as well as Christie's) but they are all gone now :(

33-1729

There is certainly enough information to create a fairly accurate V505 A-2 reproduction (link below with lots of helpful inputs from those on this site). I think a V505 military version in goatskin that meets RAAF specifications and a more accurate V505 reproduction civilian version in cowhide are both worth considering.

interesting news about Christie's doing a V505, since I don't work in the city anymore I haven't stop by their shop for a while.

back in the good old days, there were several army disposal stores along Pitt St (as well as Christie's) but they are all gone now :(
That they have unfortunately
I used to love Mitchell's when they were at Pitt St and Joss Richardson's up on George St.....even if he was into nazi groupings waaaay too much

There is certainly enough information to create a fairly accurate V505 A-2 reproduction (link below with lots of helpful inputs from those on this site). I think a V505 military version in goatskin that meets RAAF specifications and a more accurate V505 reproduction civilian version in cowhide are both worth considering.

I went past Christie's today so I could take a photo of the poster but unfortunately we're closed

kirova

That they have unfortunately
I used to love Mitchell's when they were at Pitt St and Joss Richardson's up on George St.....even if he was into nazi groupings waaaay too much

can't remember who Joss Richardson was, just yeah at George St near Central there were a few militaria shop plus the gun shops, and some them were definitely into the third reich :) anyway, all gone now :(

Mitchell's still has a shop front in York St (near QVB), but these days they are more into camping gears then military.

Since you are obviously an old timer :) did you used to go to the gun show at the Easter show ground as well? I think they have moved to Penrith now?

can't remember who Joss Richardson was, just yeah at George St near Central there were a few militaria shop plus the gun shops, and some them were definitely into the third reich :) anyway, all gone now :(

Mitchell's still has a shop front in York St (near QVB), but these days they are more into camping gears then military.

Since you are obviously an old timer :) did you used to go to the gun show at the Easter show ground as well? I think they have moved to Penrith now?
Ahhh I'm not a older timer (well at 32 I hope I'm not lol)
I never did get into guns though I did go to the Penrith gum shows at the Panthers complex......walked away with a lovely "issued" German BGS leather jacket though

kirova

Ahhh I'm not a older timer (well at 32 I hope I'm not lol)
I never did get into guns though I did go to the Penrith gum shows at the Panthers complex......walked away with a lovely "issued" German BGS leather jacket though

lol ok, IIRC those shops at Pitt St started to disappear probably around the turn of the century, so I thought maybe you have been around for a while :)

I might have to check out the Penrith gun show one of these days, if I can be bothered making the trip :)

fun fact for ya: one of the dealers at gun show in the Easter show ground that I used to have chat with whenever I was there, a few years later, I saw him on ACA admitting to be some grand wizard of the Australian chapter of the KKK lol, never suspected a thing, as I am Asian and I thought we got on alright, but yeah he did had a lot of Nazi stuff too :)

lol ok, IIRC those shops at Pitt St started to disappear probably around the turn of the century, so I thought maybe you have been around for a while :)

I might have to check out the Penrith gun show one of these days, if I can be bothered making the trip :)

fun fact for ya: one of the dealers at gun show in the Easter show ground that I used to have chat with whenever I was there, a few years later, I saw him on ACA admitting to be some grand wizard of the Australian chapter of the KKK lol, never suspected a thing, as I am Asian and I thought we got on alright, but yeah he did had a lot of Nazi stuff too :)
Ahhh that's got to be always akward mate...

My mother's side of the family is Polish so as much as I'd look dashing in a Hugo Boss designed uniform.....I'd pretty much be turned into fertilizer after my family disowned me lol

Ken at Aero Leather

Based on info I've gleened over the years the Tiger Patch on this jacket is 14th AF not AVG
The AVG Tiger leaped to the right, making him "in retreat" when fitted to a jacket shoulder (LH Side)
This was reversed by the 14th AF so he leaped forward "In attack"

Ken at Aero Leather

Looking at the lining, specifically the name tag and bloodchit backstitch, the wear and discolouration around these suggests they've been on the jacket considerably longer than theTiger patch, again based on the much cleaner ring of backstitch

This is an invaluable method of spotting any later additions to any jacket, it's extremely difficult to fake