• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN M-375 jacket info request

zoomer

I would be much appreciated for those whom, have the book Full Gear to post those M375 pics, tks. I am writing this post for info, not sharing.
Do you object to sharing in any way?

It looks like someone (the jacket's owner?) processed your pic to make the liner fabric unrecognizable. (I see horizontal bars in the lower part of it.) If you have a rarity you often don't want anyone attempting to copy it...

Geeboo

can you tell or guess from the pic posted by scwells in threads#15 the color of this M375 jacket in newer form ? it seems to me it should be a dark olive or green shade. The color of the specimen [Khaki] is after years of storage, wash & fading - to a khaki color - which is not its original color if you compare to the picture.
As chino is always Khaki in color, the color in the photo do seem green or dark olive to me - any input ?

zoomer

Following the 37J1 as it did, maybe a darker color, that would fade more slowly, was desired. It would have matched Aviation Working Green uniforms more closely.

Geeboo

That sound logical. How about the color suddenly changed back to Khaki again in M421 - its successor ?
Calling again for Aota's Full Gear photos of M375, please :>

scwells

Here is a vintage photo that I lifted off of a web search. There are several 37J1s visible. The man pointing has maybe an M-422. There may also be a couple of M-375s. What look to be M-375s are each at the very edge of the image, left and right.Hard to say with certainty. The 37J1s look to be the same color and texture as the apparent M-375s, including my prior post of the 3 pilots wearing M-375s.
Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 11.54.46 PM.png
image001-1.jpg

zoomer

Geeboo: the liner in the color pic may actually be a satin finish rayon or similar material. The moiré effect is consistent with that. (I still think the photo was tampered with somewhat.)

zoomer

The big group shot must be a cadet class in aircraft ID. The instructor would rate a '422, but the '375s, like the 37Js, were probably hand-me-downs to flight school.

One '375 is stenciled "N.R.A.D." Naval Reserve Air Depot?

Last edited:

Geeboo

Tks Zoomer - I am done with the liner - got the correct one.
What color do you think suit best in the cloth sample ? the below is the bleach effect using 1:1 bleach water, a mid/ slighter fading can be achieved using less concentrated bleach.
The last pic is the color of a 37J1b should be when new/ unfaded ?
contestant are 26A, 26B, 27, 33 & 36

20190120_093243_1.jpg

37J1B_1.jpg

Last edited:

zoomer

I like 27 or 33. All depends whether you want a browner or greener shade. Government tolerances were a bit loose then.

Geeboo

A member suggested there is a hidden cuff. Do you think the knitted cuff should be of same woven as the G1 knit waistband - have a few rows off horizontal weave or plain cuff ?
Is there an inside pocket ? 37J1 has none. but most other USN flight jkts have like its successor M421a, ANJ2a, AN-6551 or in leather jkt like M422, 55J14, G1, etc....would M375 be the 1st one with an inside pocket U think ?

Last edited:

Geeboo

Wow, tks so much !:)
cannot see very clear in the monitor - seems plain cuff to me - not G1 waistband type knit - is it ?

Last edited:

zoomer

This is a great pic but I imagine it will not get any bigger or sharper in detail. But now we know there's a hidden cuff.

As a guess, because it's the same color knit as used on the 37J1, it would have been made the same way as 37J1 cuffs, i.e.: single-weave, double-ply.

Now! I have found pix of, not the M-375 jacket, but the M-384 flight suit made under the same contract - No. N156S-15012. The item was well hidden at a site for German military goods. https://www.germanmilitaria.com/OtherNations/photos/C020674.html

Notice the un-messed-with view of the liner material. I'll bet it is a durable rayon such as bemberg, altho it seems to be a textured, oxford-like weave.

Also notice that the construction of the upper suit appears largely the same, but there are no front pockets (they're on the legs), and no belt in back (it's in front and buckled)!

Note that spec M-375 is for JACKETS, AVIATOR'S, whereas M-384 is for SUITS, FLYING, SUMMER. I'll guess SUMMER means that there were no knit cuffs - or at least none at the ankles, as they'd be a bother to wear over trousers.

C020674full.jpg

Last edited:

Geeboo

Hi zommer. tks for your enthusiastic input, i really appreciate it.
I asked my friend whom is fluent in Japanese to translate all of Aota's paragraphs for me & he brings out a few interesting points:
1) There is an elastic band in the bi-swing pleat [I interpret it is like Wrangler's 11MJ's construction], however, for that construction there must be a seam at the face material on the back [1 seam to be fixed at the bi-swing which is hidden - I am referring to the other end that shall have fixed the elastic band onto the back - where is it? i can't see] which i cannot see any in the magnified photo of the back.
2) There is a zipper on the right side pocket -- as no open flap shot is revealed & the fact that all photos of the pocket flap seems so smooth - I would have interpreted it means the pocket to the right side of the zipper rather than the zipper on the right side pocket - you know language sometimes sound like that
3) there is a pen pocket in the right pocket - that has inherited in its successor M422 - that pen pocket may well be covered by the pocket flap - any input as to how the pen pocket should look like or should it be constructed ?
Tks

Last edited:

zoomer

1) I would assume the elastic was done in the same way it would be on an M-422/G-1, i.e. this way. It attaches only to the inner seams of each pleat.
G1-jacket-back-v3.jpg

What is "face material"? Do you mean the outer shell?

2) No idea what might be meant here. Unless we can see a slit of some kind to the right of the right pocket, the zipper would have to be underneath the flap.

Last edited:

Geeboo

yes, i mean outer shell.
Is there an elastic band ? I never notice it in my original 55J14
Sure is the zipper under the flap should there be one, but such design is not seen anywhere in others USN jacket. Maybe the writer just mean " to the right side of the zipper the pocket ...." rather than " there is a zipper on the right pocket", but my friend said it is the latter ............... I don't know... I just think such design[ a zipper under the pocket flap] is weird & have not seen it anywhere else.
OR he means there is a zippered pocket inside the right side - design of which is like like AL-1 's inside flap internal pocket but not like M422 which is a snap closure - inside pocket
I AM CONFUSED about this point

Although I want to repro this one very much, I am afraid it will render itself be like the Goldsmith project cos without a real specimen, there is no point making a "fake". It would look silly if mine is not 100% correct & if there were more photos about its inside's details that cone up later in time - you know the M39 Talon zipper alone costs US$100 ! from mash.

P.S. a photo of the lining I found
20190128_094839.jpg

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

Hello Geeboo,

Once again, you have impressive skills and your projects are always inspiring.

Can I ask, where do your have your labels made? I am missing an Bogen AN6552 and still looking for a good place to have one made!

Thank you,

Dany