• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN jackets .... Eye candy for the mouton collar guy's

tda003

Thanks for the information on the collar change. I bet you could blond your collar out wearing your jacket down here in sunny Florida, especially on days when it drops to the mid 80's. Alternatively, a tanning booth might work.

B-Man2

Thanks for the information on the collar change. I bet you could blond your collar out wearing your jacket down here in sunny Florida, especially on days when it drops to the mid 80's. Alternatively, a tanning booth might work.
Actually if you have the piece of mouton that you plan to use for the collar . Throw it up on the dashboard of your vehicle and let the UV rays work their magic .

mulceber

Just be prepared to put some Vaseline on the back immediately afterward: the sun could very well dry the skin out, and it’s pretty old. ;)

YoungMedic

I have had many different G-1s. I often bough, then sold or exchanged.

Now I have 2 originals:

LW Foster from 1956

028b0bda64b3.jpg

and Brill Bros. from 1968
I thought I had seen this patch before and going through some old pictures I saw this in a thrift shop years back, a younger brother jacket :)

IMG_1717.JPG

Maverickson

Hi All,

In keeping with the spirit of Vintage USN jackets, see one of my latest Monarch. In this case a size 46. Generally I wear a size 44 but this one works well enough.

This particular G-1 jacket remains completely original. But in need of a cuff change out. Currently, airing out in my attic to get rid of a persistent tobacco odor.

This jacket has spent the last 5 months airing out in my attic. It should be aired out enough by this coming jacket season.

Size 46 Monarch G-1.jpg

Monarch Size 46 Opened.jpg

Monarch Size 46 Reverse .jpg

These particular G-1 type knits were unique to this model jacket and I had them duplicated. As a result the replacement cuffs are nearly a perfect match to the originals.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

Hi All,

In keeping with the spirit of Vintage USN jackets, see one of my latest Monarch. In this case a size 46. Generally I wear a size 44 but this one works well enough.

This particular G-1 jacket remains completely original. But in need of a cuff change out. Currently, airing out in my attic to get rid of a persistent tobacco odor.

This jacket has spent the last 5 months airing out in my attic. It should be aired out enough by this coming jacket season.

View attachment 64154

View attachment 64155

View attachment 64156

These particular G-1 type knits were unique to this model jacket and I had them duplicated. As a result the replacement cuffs are nearly a perfect match to the originals.

Cheers, Dave

What a beautiful G-1 you've got there Dave. Is it a J-7823 from 1951 or thereabouts? Would you mind posting a photo of the label, please?

Lorenzo_l

Hi,

Yes, it is my understanding that this particular Monarch G-1 contract dates 1951.

See the label.

View attachment 64157

Also my replacement cuffs.

View attachment 64158

Cheers, Dave

Thanks, Dave. It is interesting to find the beautifully scalloped pocket flaps typical of the 55J14 contracts in this J7823. Most other J7823s, including early 1950s' contracts already featured the squared pocket flaps found on most G-1s.

Last edited:

Maverickson

Hi,

Monarch's pocket design dates their M-422 and pretty much continued throughout all their USN contracts.

This pocket is from my size 40/42 pre War Monarch M-422

Monarch M-422 Pocket.jpg

Much like my mid War size 46 Monarch AN-J-3A

Monarch AN-J-3A Size 46 Pocket .jpg

& all dead ringers for the Monarch G-1 as seen on my size 46 G-1.

Monarch G-1 Pocket.jpg

On the other hand the body panels from either Monarch's M-422, AN or G-1 model jackets are not interchangeable. With the G-1 being slightly shorter and much a more cut design than either the M-422 or AN model jackets.

Likewise the Monarch M-422 and their AN model body panels also differ.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

MaydayWei

Hi,

Monarch's pocket design dates their M-422 and pretty much continued throughout all their USN contracts.

This pocket is from my pre War Monarch M-422

View attachment 64160

Much like my mid War size 46 Monarch AN-J-3A

View attachment 64162

& all dead ringers for the Monarch G-1 as seen on my size 46 G-1.

View attachment 64161

On the other hand the body panels from either Monarch's M-422, AN or G-1 model jackets are not interchangeable. With the G-1 being slightly shorter and much a more cut design than either the M-422 or AN model jackets.

Likewise the Monarch M-422 and their AN model body panels also differ.

Cheers, Dave

Damned nice. Thanks very much for taking the time to share bits of your archive.
Where else would we get to see them? Very nice indeed!