• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN jacket mfg. dates

A

Anonymous

folks, does anyone know what dates the various USN jackets - 422, 422a M444, 445 - were rolled out?
Cheers
S

zoomer

I've been told:
-pencil slot (422, none or small slit in standard size pocket; 422A, larger lefthand pocket with sewn-off compartment)
-sleeve length (422, short for size to facilitate gauntlet wearing; 422A, more typical)
-body length (422, long for size; 422A, shorter but not as short as the various G-1s)

So few pre-A 422s are known that it's hard to compare them with A models.
There is even confusion about their introduction; some say 1938, others 1940 with '38 being the design date.

These are probably the only pix of an M-422 online, taken from a web forum in Hong Kong. It's a Monarch.
2390005149_790412de6a.jpg
2390837596_cf6ab09aa8.jpg
2390005189_e7947ab570.jpg

Roughwear

According to John Chapman's CD the M422 dates from 1940 and he cites two makers, W&G and Monarch. The M422A contracts were from 1941-3, the AN6552 date from 1943. The M445A dates from around the same time as the AN-J-4, i.e. 1943.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all - I would have checked myself but my JC CD is scratched to buggery and no longer works. How about the M-444?

A

Anonymous

Just to piggyback on Simon's post, does anyone know the order of production of the various 422a jackets from 41 to 43: Church, W & G, FO, etc.?

hacker

This maybe right:

M422a started Oct. 1940, and ran thru April 1943.
The An-6552 started up in April 43 and ran thru Nov. 1943. The AN-J -3A started about when the AN-6552 ended.

from most common to least in the M422a;
G&F
Block
Church
W&G
Ostermann

Hacker

A

Anonymous

zoomer said:
These are probably the only pix of an M-422 online

Didn't Senicko have one a year or two back? He posted many pics.

Hackr - where did you get the date of 1940 from?

And does anyone have info on the date for the M-444?

John Lever

It would be very useful if someone could post the specifications of all the various jackets.
e.g. m445, m445a, m445b. I believe there are some very knowledgeable members here who are largely silent.

hacker

Tranquility Base said:
zoomer said:
These are probably the only pix of an M-422 online

Didn't Senicko have one a year or two back? He posted many pics.

Hackr - where did you get the date of 1940 from?

And does anyone have info on the date for the M-444?

I wish I could remember exactly, but that's what I recall. I also believe I've seen March, 1940 as a start date for the M422, but I also recall seeing 1938 for those as well. Navy jackets just don't seem to be as well documented as AAF ones. It would be nice to see some accurate hard numbers listed somewhere. Later G-1's seem much easier to pinpoint, but even those have overlapping years for some models. There are certainly several members here that have collected a lot of M442a jackets like I have, and just maybe they can shed more light. Just like A-2's each M422a maker had noticeable variances in design, and sizing. For me, all things added up, Ed Church is the nicest Navy jacket ever made, but then that's just my opinion!

Hacker

zoomer

What about before the '422? Navy pilots seem to have worn the highpockets A-1 until at least the mid 30s, the cloth 37J in warm weather, and a B-1 type winter jacket/suit in cold weather.

After that, were there other jacket types? Perhaps the so-called G-8, whose design is very similar to the side belted/elbow patched sheepskins? No period G-8s have ever turned up, but there are a lot of 30s military contracts that weren't known to exist until some were found.

g8.jpg

US Authentic G-8

A

Anonymous

hacker said:
M445A

Hacker

The photo was apparently taken in Dec 1941!?

Otherwise, below a nice quote from Larry Pistole's 'pic history of AVG'.

DSC00318.jpg

hacker

IMGP1685.jpg

M445a...Taken way back in 41....or so it seems :( ..........paid only 10 bucks though!....

Hacker