• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN 37J1 Style

MeachamLake

I own the Buzz 44, and except for the over-taper in the waist it fits me very well.
The 37J1 spec called for just a 2" drop from chest to waist. Buzz has 5".

Would you be able to send some detailed measurements? Intrigued to know how it fits.

Griffon_301

you can find the measurements on the history preservation site :)
basically the size 44 BR 37J1 has the same measurements as an ELC regular size 46 G-1 or M-422A according to them and it certainly fits like this;
I expected it to be not as blousy as it is but it is a nicely fitting jacket and perfect for warmer weather; I can also sneak a sweatshirt or thin pullover underneath it so it can be also warm in slightly colder weather;

zoomer

Would you be able to send some detailed measurements? Intrigued to know how it fits.
Happily. Will get on it this weekend.

Griffon_301, the G-1 may fit a certain way, but making a 37J fit the same way is historical revisionism.

The waist taper is not a common measure to give, because when you combine it with the chest, it reveals too much about the cut and intended fit. That's why ELC, Platon, and others prefer to recommend a size to you.

Last edited:

Griffon_301

I did never say that I wanted the 37J1 to fit the same way! Seems in my haste to finish the post before I left office after a 12 hour shift I got my wording wrong.
What I meant is that I like the way it feels and fits when wearing it because the basic measurements are about the same, length wise and shoulder wise to the leather USN jackets from ELC that I own, so it is an easy wearing jacket IMHO.
I got a size 46 recommended by Rob three years ago when I got the G-1 for my 40th Birthday from my girlfriend when we visited the ELC stall in Duxford and I consider my G-1 to be the best fitting jacket I have.
Of course the G-1 (and M-422a) fit differently to the body compared to the 37J1 because of their different construction and cut. To be honest I do not understand why the USN did not keep the 37J1 in use for a longer time. If they added some Alpaca lining as in a B-10/B-15 or the N-1 deck jacket and do a different Collar as per M-422a maybe they would have had a great jacket to furnish their aircrews with...at least in the ETO.

So to come to a conclusion...I like my BR 37J1 very much even if it might not be a 100% true to original repro....for warmer weather it is an awesome jacket....

Last edited:

zoomer

Buzz 37J1, 44

pit-pit 25"
waist above knit 23"
shoulder 20 3/8"
sleeve 28 1/2"
arm hole 11 3/8"
back 27 1/2"
front less collar 24 5/8" (zip 24 1/8") (collar type A)

Silvermans 37J1, XXL (46)

pit-pit 25"
waist above knit 24"
shoulder 21"
sleeve 27"
arm hole 9 3/4" (!)
back 26 3/4"
front less collar 24 1/4" (zip 25 3/4") (collar type B)

zoomer

I did never say that I wanted the 37J1 to fit the same way! Seems in my haste to finish the post before I left office after a 12 hour shift I got my wording wrong.
OK, sorry to misinterpret you...

I do not understand why the USN did not keep the 37J1 in use for a longer time. If they added some Alpaca lining as in a B-10/B-15 or the N-1 deck jacket and do a different Collar as per M-422a maybe they would have had a great jacket to furnish their aircrews with...at least in the ETO.
Similarly, with a button-out liner and water treated shell, I think it would be an absolute category killer in today's repro market!

The only real issue is its lack of iconic status as an item of combat gear. All it has is clean elegant lines and practicality.

MeachamLake

Buzz 37J1, 44

pit-pit 25"
waist above knit 23"
shoulder 20 3/8"
sleeve 28 1/2"
arm hole 11 3/8"
back 27 1/2"
front less collar 24 5/8" (zip 24 1/8") (collar type A)

This sounds like it would fit me perfectly! Thanks Zoomer for getting those measurements.

zoomer

“NO! We don’t care how the Navy specced them. We are NOT putting an extra 2” into the belly. We are artisans. We seek to replicate an IDEAL...PERFECTION...the WORLD’S BEST. And the world’s best were NEVER built like YOU.”

60069301_2541352222542515_548960244210860032_o.jpg

Last edited:

zoomer

My actual waist isn't the problem...I wear size 40 trousers, altho they're probably closer to actual 42" garment waist...But I have a 46" chest and 46" "bread basket" below that! There's no more room...unless I have the side seams opened and the doubled selvages pressed open on each side, and then the same trickery done in front where the zipper mounts...