• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN 37J1 Project

Skyhawk

Hi all, I have been working on a 37J1 repro with a MFG I have contracted. It is not meant to be a exact reproduction made from the finest materials known to man. But rather, a reasonable low cost alternative. For those who want one to wear or have a "place holder" in their collection, but don't want to pay over a $1000 for it. Cost is going to be in the range of $350. I used historical photos and photos of some surviving ones to build it up.
The first sample is in, turned out OK. There are some adjustments here and there to make, but not too bad so far. The finished jacket will come with a choice of antique style horn buttons, or solid brown. Also personal tailoring is available for a very low cost.

The hide is thin goatskin, chrome tanned I believe. Nothing extravagant, but for $350 not bad IMO. And it actually drapes really well. Dare I say.... sorta capeskin-ish.

This one was tailored, and came out fitting well but trim. Maybe a bit too close fitting for a flight jacket, but ok for around the town. The sizes will run standard 36-48, but can be tailored to any size.

I am torture testing this one, driving in it, and on this particular pictured day, playing with the kids at the park. Climbing around the structure and playing wall ball. We will see how this thing holds up. So far so good.

Any thoughts......comments........interest.....?

B-Man2

I like the jacket and would like to see the finished product.
I'd be interested in one.

Skyhawk

Thanks for the feedback guys! These will be in production very soon. They will have a nice Black and gold spec label based on the Original photos of the 37 and the later M-422 labels which I have on hand. The snaps will be brown, and a few other minor changes. Lookout for a VLJ discount!

Rutger

I won't buy one but I admire the entrepreneurship and craftsmanship of quite a few members on the forum.

Skyhawk

Thanks. It is a dark seal brown. Really close to this Star G-1 I have.

not the best photo, but you can see the color is really close. I will have to take one later without the flash. Up near the top of the photo is a better representation of the colors.

Skyhawk

Hey guys, The project is progressing nicely. I am now awaiting labels and should be in production by May 1st. The jackets will be made per order in sizes 36-48 and tailoring is also available. The production time for the jacket is around 10 days to ship. I will be offering free shipping and free tailoring to VLJ forum members. Price is $350.

I have continued torture testing this sample I have. The hide is holding up great and starting to grain a bit more. There is barely a scuff on it and all the hardware is holding up nicely. Seams are all good too. Looks like a real solid jacket.

Skyhawk

The label is a no name contract based on the known surviving jackets' labels. It is similar to the black and yellow M422 labels only smaller and with a earlier contract number. Is that what you meant by which manufacturer?

johnwayne

Looking good and reasonably priced too, could well be interested if you might have any other leather colour choice? I've always fancied an olive green A1, the original colour I believe, so could that be an option?

Cheers
Wayne

Skyhawk

johnwayne said:
Looking good and reasonably priced too, could well be interested if you might have any other leather colour choice? I've always fancied an olive green A1, the original colour I believe, so could that be an option?

Cheers
Wayne

I will look into that for you. I believe I can get olive sheep skin but I don't think that color is available in capeskin weight goat at this time.
the sheep is similar to the goat only thinner and softer.
I am planning on making up an A-1 pattern as well, so I can do it but it will take a little time to get the pattern complete and get the label made. You can PM me if interested.

Silver Surfer

not too shabby, not too shabby at all. i agree with all of the above, in that its impressive each and every time someone gets the bug, and starts from scratch. there seems to be something of an interest in these usn jacs these days, so your timing is on the money.

Bombing IP

Hi Skyhawk love your jacket ,I would like one myself. For me could it be made in a tobacco or russet color .

All the best BIP

Skyhawk

The horn buttons are in and they are nice! Really happy with them. Now just waiting on the labels but they will arrive soon. Looks like I will be in production by May 1st.

I'm really likng the way this hide is breaking in too: