• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USMC Tanker style jacket question.

Rutger

To me it looks like the latter : fantasy tanker jacket with fantasy tag (bad English too), including L-2 style collar and epaulettes. JMO.

watchmanjimg

Not a fantasy jacket, but I don't believe it's general issue either. Through the years all the services have authorized sweaters and windbreaker-style jackets for optional private purchase to be worn with the service uniform (not utility/field), typically by officers and career NCOs. You don't necessarily see the rank-and-file enlisted personnel wearing them often but they're out there.

foster

I agree, if made I suspect it was a tailor made item perhaps.
I met a USMC veteran some years ago, he served in the early 1960's before Vietnam. He showed me the WWII tanker jacket and trousers (standard issue, not any 'USMC style' like the link) which he was issued.

watchmanjimg

It's a modern item worn during this century:

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publi ... %201-5.pdf

The use of the word "tanker" in this case doesn't mean it's worn by USMC armored personnel currently but rather refers to the styling, which resembles the private-purchase jackets popularly worn by Army tank crews in Germany in the 1950s-60s:

As you can see, the resemblance is unmistakable.

a2jacketpatches

watchmanjimg said:
It's a modern item worn during this century:

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publi ... %201-5.pdf

The use of the word "tanker" in this case doesn't mean it's worn by USMC armored personnel currently but rather refers to the styling, which resembles the private-purchase jackets popularly worn by Army tank crews in Germany in the 1950s-60s:

As you can see, the resemblance is unmistakable.

Dead on, exactly what my Dad said when I showed him an identical jacket a few years back. He was enlisted, M-48's back in the 60's, Germany. He had a jacket just like this privately purchased. I don't think it said USMC in the tag but definitely did say Tanker.

watchmanjimg

a2jacketpatches said:
Dead on, exactly what my Dad said when I showed him an identical jacket a few years back. He was enlisted, M-48's back in the 60's, Germany. He had a jacket just like this privately purchased. I don't think it said USMC in the tag but definitely did say Tanker.

Cool story! Here's an example depicted on Page 3 of Stanton's U.S. Army Uniforms of the Cold War:

And here's John Larroquette wearing one as "Captain Stillman" in Stripes:

I remember seeing these in the U.S. Cavalry Store catalog circa '79-'80 but I'm not sure their wear was still authorized by then. In any case this type of jacket was not issued but widely purchased by Army tank crewmen, particularly in Germany as we've discussed. I don't think there was any USMC connection until the Corps adopted the style much more recently.

Regarding your jacket, I've seen them with the "Tanker" label but I have one marked "B-15" (definitely a copy) that belonged to a WW2 Pacific Theater vet who later served in Germany as an armor officer. It's in rough shape but all the stitch holes are evident from the removal of rank, tapes, etc. I also have his custom-made insulated winter coverall and a great HBT coverall with nametape in Armor branch colors.

ausreenactor

Approved item in the mid to late 90s. Regiment magazine featured it heavily in issues 37 & 38. From the 'Light Colonel', to the Captain to the Corporal. All wore shoulder rank on the ep (including ORs). Worn with Dress C and Delta Blues.

The PDF explains it all...

3015. JACKET, TANKER
1. The tanker jacket, authorized for individual optional purchase and wear,
is made of a pewter gray polyester/wool gabardine material that has been
treated to be water-repellent/resistant.
2. The jacket may be worn with the dress "C"/"D" uniforms, the service
"B"/"C" uniforms and service or blue dress uniform with sweater. When worn
the jacket will be zipped at least to the top (i.e., the highest point) of
the external slash pockets. When worn with the sweater, the sleeves and the
waistband of the sweater will be rolled up or under to ensure they do not
extend below the jacket's sleeves/waistband.
3. Officers will wear their insignia of grade on the shoulder straps in the
same manner as worn on the all-weather coat. Enlisted Marines will wear
metal/plastic insignia of grade on the shoulder straps, single point inboard,
and placed in the same manner as field/company grade officer's insignia.
4. The jacket will not be worn with the all-weather coat, nor will it be
worn with the utility uniform. It will not be worn for inspections,
ceremonial formations, or parades. It may be worn for leave/liberty. The
jacket is authorized for wear, without insignia, with civilian clothing.

We have the same thing called a 'utility jacket'. Can be worn with the
DPCU uniform and civilian attire (aaargh internal Sergeant Major helmet
fire happening right now.....). Shiny, and UGLY. Adorned it with the Rising
Sun badge just to add to the cost.

Peter Graham

Thank you gentlemen. That's my question comprehensively answered. I don't think I'll go any further down that avenue.