• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Used Aero Mariner

Jonesy86

I now have 3 Aeros. My first high end jacket was brand new HBD Vincenza from Thurston's stock. No wait. Carrie pegged my size perfectly from just a few email exchanges. I call her the "jacket whisperer", she knows her stuff. However, I cannot afford new high end jackets, so I have been shopping the second hand market.

I picked up an Aero Mariner recently all the way from Ankara. It took a long time to get to me, and apparently was gone over pretty strictly by customs. I guess that is just a sign of the times.

Many folks have said it is my best yet. It was a great price, and it is a very unique design that you often don't see:

Mariner Closed.jpg

What do you folks think of this jacket, and fit? I'm a newb. I love it. It is FQHH, and I didn't have to break it in.
Thanks!

Garylafortuna

Terrific looking jacket David. The color and the fit are dead on. I really favor the double breast; makes it so much more wind resistant. This is extraordinarily coincidental but I recently purchased a Buzz Rickson G-1 from a forum member in Ankara. Perhaps the same fellow. Congrats on the Aero Mariner. I have two Aeros that I like a lot.

Dubpynchon

Great fit, I have an Aero Cheyenne which is similar to this, great jacket. It seems to have shrunk since I wore it in the spring strangely, it did fit like an overcoat but now is more like a normal jacket fit. I reckon leaving it in the cupboard next to the heating tank did it. Not pies.

Smithy

I've got an Aero Barnstormer which is obviously very similar and absolutely love it. Tough, good looking, practical coats.

seres

Great fit. I’ve often wondered if these double-breasted larger/longer coats should fit like an overcoat, or more like a jacket. The difference would be about one size. In any event, I’ll keep your fit in mind if I ever get one of these.

Jonesy86

This fits me more like a long jacket than an overcoat. I suppose I could fit a fairly thick sweater under it, but it is trim. Did I say I really like it?

Smithy

Great fit. I’ve often wondered if these double-breasted larger/longer coats should fit like an overcoat, or more like a jacket. The difference would be about one size. In any event, I’ll keep your fit in mind if I ever get one of these.

The Aero Barnstormer and Mariner are sized roughly one to two sizes larger than the label size so that they can be worn over other clothing. The reason is that these are based on post WWI flying, motoring and nautical coats which were designed to be worn over other clothing. For example my 40 Barnstormer has the measurements of a size 42/44 if comparing with more fitted jackets.

If you're after one Seres, just go for your standard size which will mean you can layer. If you wanted a more fitted look you'd have to go down in size but that to me defeats the original purpose of these coats and also the look of them.

Jonesy86

Yes, I am a 42L, or sometimes a 44 to get sleeve length. I couldn't get a better fit. I could layer under this, but is lined with Alpaca witv is pretty cozy.