• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAF repro Khaki Crusher advice

foster

Wouldn’t it have to be that tall just to hold the emblem?
(Just trying to learn about them)
The cap badges came in different sizes. If I remember correctly, the early cap eagles were smaller, and did not need that much space. Later ones became larger and often stood a bit tall on the front if worn as a service cap, but looked nice when pulled back like a crusher style.

Garylafortuna

The larger Eagles look good, but when I mount one to my crusher it extends beyond the top of the cap which looks kind of grotesque and out of place.

Steve27752

As you know eagles both large and smaller ones have a screw post on the back for affixing to the cap. This mounting point can either be high on the neck of the eagle or lower down on the shield (which makes it higher when on the cap).
You probably need the screw post on the neck, which makes it sit lower on the cap.

Steve27752

The cap badges came in different sizes. If I remember correctly, the early cap eagles were smaller, and did not need that much space. Later ones became larger and often stood a bit tall on the front if worn as a service cap, but looked nice when pulled back like a crusher style.
Here you go, both 2-1/2" x 2-3/4" 'Jumbo' cap eagles. If the device sticks up over the top of your cap look for one with the higher mounting post.
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0299.jpg

ausreenactor

Not too many of the current reproduction caps from WWII suppliers have been any good. The frames of the caps are built too thick/tall. The cover will easily accommodate any size badge. At The Front and What Price Glory should know better!

Micawber

Here's all my stuff I sold for $1500 (basically gave it away). Just wanted to post my related gear that I passed on. FYI it took me a LOOONG time to sell this stuff and I had it list on muliple sites. And you can see my Crushers.

Flight Gear

Yeah, been there, done that several times over. Fortunately I have few accessible photos of the stuff I had in the past to look and get depressed over.

Cocker

Reviving this post a bit... @Brettafett have you been able to locate a decent repro? I'm starting to build a basic 9th AF pilot impression I could get around at a couple non hardcore event this year, and would like to source a repro crusher that would not kill my wallet.

Brettafett

Hiye, that sounds like what Im looking to do. No, not bought one yet, and I don't want to spend hundreds either.
A couple on Ebay, that seem .... ok

Brettafett

Back on this.
Can anyone please tell me the correct way to measure your head, to gauge the correct size for one of these?
Thanks

Brettafett

Thanks Lorenzo, don't know how many times I've been on that site over the years and never clicked the hats measurements.
Seems I'm an even 58cm

Micawber

Best buy slightly larger and use paper or somesuch behind the sweatband if required, there is nothing more irksome than hats and caps which are just that wee bit too tight. Haircuts will impact fit too.