• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAF repro Khaki Crusher advice

Brettafett

Gents,

I toyed with one of these at Seal military's tent at Duxford, quite liked it, although I know its not nearly as nice as an original.
Am looking at picking one of these up, for fun of it... May wear it to airshows, my not. I dot NOT want to spend more than £50 or so... Not collecting, this is just for the fun of it.

So, question is... Has anyone bought one, from any of these UK sellers? Or does anyone have any better ideas?
I recon I may be a 57.... 58 was a touch big, 56 was a touch tight...

www.epicmilitaria.com/us-army-officers-visor-cap-khaki.html
www.sealmilitary.com/product.php?s=2&p=21
www.sofmilitary.co.uk/us-officers-service-cap-crusher-cap.html (may have a Khaki version coming soon)

Thanks in advance.

Brettafett

Thanks... Yes, I had a gander on the 'bay, but I don't want to spend £100s on one of these, or fix things that are broken or worn out.
I will hardly wear this, it may just be for the occasional Airshow or Comic Con thing...

B-Man2

Brett
Just a suggestion;
If you spend the extra money and buy an original, it’s value will remain close to what you paid for it during the time that you own it. It might even increase a bit. If you decide to move it on, you should be able to recoup your purchase price, while the value of a repro will begin to drop off the minute you buy it. So you’ll actually be saving money in the long run.
Factoid .....This is the logic I use on myself to justify spending the extra money to buy stuff . It works on me every time ;)

Brettafett

Thats good and valid advice.
I guess, these were never on my radar. Then at the airshow, the Seal Military guy had a few repros there for circa £50, and they looked cool. But the one I liked did not fit well and I thought, perhaps there was a better option for the same cash.
Originals Ive seen go into the hundreds and frankly, I'd rather put that into another jacket.
(although the cap will take up less room ;) )

B-Man2

You may or may not know this but Diamond Dave, a member here, used to make some pretty nice repro crushers. Maybe there’s one someone still has who might consider selling it for a good price.
Once again just a suggestion.:)

foster

You may or may not know this but Diamond Dave, a member here, used to make some pretty nice repro crushers. Maybe there’s one someone still has who might consider selling it for a good price.
Once again just a suggestion.:)

Diamond Dave used to make some for Seal also. I own one that he made for them.

I also have to agree with Trevor, these repros look too tall.

Micawber

Agreed, the first repro looks way too tall, if the front was folded back it would look much better.

I've had no end of Bancroft Flighter's in the past. The epitome of ready made, soft billed crushers and always in good big sizes. When I had hair I took 7 1/8 - 7 1/4 and had a few which I could pull down over my ears

ausreenactor

There were three DD caps on eBay recently. Unless you want to pay a few hundred and good original would be a better option.

Garylafortuna

Check out societybrandhatco.com They make a high quality 'Bancroft Flighter', and do custom work as well.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Wouldn’t it have to be that tall just to hold the emblem?
(Just trying to learn about them)