• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAF pilot

bebel

At the end of the F50s, US Air Force modernizes some flight equipment for its crews. Certain equipment evolves whereas others, completely new, make their appearance.

This pilot could as well be flying on any Century Series fighters, Super F-100 Sabre, F-101 Voodoo or F-102 Delta Dagger, as on fighters of the former generation like F-86 Sabre or F-84 Thunderstreak. Only some details can be different, in particular on some parachute accessories, according to the type of ejection seat of the plane.

So, our pilot is wearing:

- a K-2B flight suit (Suit, Flying, Man' S, Very Light - Specification Mil-S-6265C), whose first version had been issued at the end of the war of Korea
- black leather combat boots, being used as flying boots in USAF (Boot, Combat, Service, Resistant Mildew - spéc. Mil-B-11077)
- a CSU-3/P anti-g cutaqay, which replaced the worthy G-3A, since the end of the 50s (Anti-g Garment, Cutaway - spéc. Mil-A-24892)
- a 1961 Skyline's L-2B flight jacket (Jacket, Flying, Light - spéc. Mil-J-7448D). The original patch is from 76th FIS.
- BA-3A brown leather flight gloves (Flying, Gloves, Leather, Summer - spéc. Mil-G-9087A)
- a MA-2A life preserver, improved version of the MA-2 (in particular by the addition of eyelets for ventilation avoiding inopportune inflation at high altitude), itself succeeding to the B-5 from 1945, (Life Preserver, Underarm, Pneumatic - spéc. Mil-L-25926)
- a BA-18 back style parachute (Parachute, Automatic, Back style - 50C7024-18), which has regained two canopy releases. Previous models from the middle of the 50s (P/N 50C7024-12, -13 and -15) did not have any more that one on the left shoulder, but the Air Force realized that in the event of sea landing, the canopy remaining hung to the harness by a side, could quickly train the pilot in water. This version of the beginning of the 60s is equipped with the “anti-windblast” handle, which will be abandoned because not practical in manual opening.
- an HGU-2/P flight helmet (Helmet, Flying, Protective), whose first specimens are manufactured by Mine Safety Appliance Company. it's neither than one evolution of the USN APH-5 helmet, in service in both Navy and USMC since 1957. It succeeds the P-4B, last version of the helmets “P” serie of the 50s.
- an MBU-5/P O2 mask (Oxygen, Mask - spéc. Mil-27274), with its bayonets hooked in the helmet receivers.

Franck

8n0p.jpg
85f8.jpg

yla4.jpg
zzdx.jpg

foe9.jpg

9ivz.jpg

v2sx.jpg
hu3c.jpg

ausreenactor

Great kit and super photos.. Surely you could show the face!! Thanks for the post.
I love this period of the Aviation timeline....

Pushing the limit of the jet age without the technology we have today.... Pioneers!!

Couchy

dujardin

well said Couchy : Pushing the limit of the jet age without the technology we have today.... Pioneers!!

splendid Equipment
nicely displayed
good description

simply excellent.... excellent

thankssssss

m

Phantomfixer

Very clever way to show the progression of the ensemble....liked the fact the Lt was promoted swiftly to major...
Very nice early USAF setup...

bebel

jzist said:
Very clever way to show the progression of the ensemble....liked the fact the Lt was promoted swiftly to major...
Very nice early USAF setup...

Yes, he may have been a very good pilot and surely a true hero! ;)
The L-2B is from a major. I've forgotten replacing lt bar on the cap on my first photo! :D

Franck

Phantomfixer

It is a great display....by chance, when did the USAF stop wearing, officially, the blue flight suit, is it the K-2? I am interested to know if the blue series flight gear was authorized to be worn past a certain date....

bebel

Nylon flight suit as K-2 (green) and K-2A (blue and rarely green) were no longer authorized for wear in flight in December 1953. I do not know exactly when all blue flightgears (K-2A, G-4A and L-1A suits, N-2A, N-3A, L-2A and B-15C jackets, E-1 radio vest) have been stopped wearing? It's also certainly in 1953. But we can see later photos with some pilots wearing blue suits or jackets until the end of the 50s.

Franck