• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAF flight jacket sleeve stencil question

Flightengineer

I met a lot of conflicting information, so I’ll ask here.
In which year exactly USAF canceled the round stencil on the left sleeve above cigarette's pocket on the MA-1 and L-2B jackets ?
Was this decal installed by the manufacturer only or could it be installed directly in the Air Force too?
It is clear that this was in the late 50s or in early 60s, but I would like to know for sure.
Thanks in advance.

Pilot

I own several original issued “cottons and nylons”...youngest is from 63....will check but if I am not mistaken, all have a “meatball” on the shoulder, even my yougest N-2b.
All have a black label ( not on the bottle) , and most of them have an oxy tab...leather or nylon...
(tab for my nylons only of course)
Edit: I dont own an orange lined jacket.

Last edited:

watchmanjimg

With regard to the L-2B, the 1960 D contract is the last to feature the decal. I'm pretty sure the 8279A is the last MA-1 with decal, but I'm not 100% on this. However, I'm unaware of any orange-lined intermediate jackets produced with the decal. Units were indeed able to affix or replace decals as needed/desired, although I'm not sure this was terribly common once it ceased to be the standard. However, in the 1980s my grandfather brought home an orange-lined MA-1 from his civilian job at Griffiss AFB (NY) and it had evidence of a heavily faded USAF decal. Clearly this was added by an individual following its issue, rather than by the manufacturer.

Flightengineer

Thanks. Yes, on my MA-1 Skyline (the contract of 1961, the first one with the orange liner), there are already no decals. But I am sure that I have seen a photo of an original jacket with an orange liner and with a decal somewhere, this is exactly what caused my question.