• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAAF photos

The light was great for a few quick photos...

BpEp7pa.jpg

bU5tkdO.jpg

9yv85Ir.jpg

ZLbj4CR.jpg

ym9c4nT.jpg

Cocker

Whoah!! Is the parachute an original piece?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Edward

Yes you should - great kit there. Natural light always works well!
thanks! I'll use natural light when I do my set up.
there is currently a USAAF AN6513 Parachute Harness Manufactured by the Standard Parachute Company in November 1943 on eBay. The back pad is stenciled for Randolph Field in Texas 292 B-29's. It still has 4 days and has 7 bids($102.50) with 34 watching so I'll be curious to see what this goes for. rare to see the early ones go up for auction LINK

Edward

Appears to have been washed to enhance its appearance. That’s what causes that random looking fraying.
Dave
Would this be a sad example of someone abusing an historic artifact by thinking that cleaning it up would be a good idea... but damaging it in the process. :(

dmar836

I guess I’m gonna have to assemble one of these “groupings”. I’m falling behind. About time I go to my room and play dress up with my imaginary friends!
Nice displays BTW and they take less room than the full mannequins.
Dave

dmar836

Would this be a sad example of someone abusing an historic artifact by thinking that cleaning it up would be a good idea... but damaging it in the process. :(
I’d say so and pretty much assures it can’t be improved upon even if now cleaned more correctly. There’s just something about the weave of the cotton that along with embedded dirt, movement, and time will cause internal abrasion and damage to the fibers. Then once you wash it the fibers swell, move around, and show their damage by fraying. That’s my interpretation anyway. The same happens when the hippsters don’t wash their jeans for several years. They end up soon finding holes in the crotch and sometimes where the cuffs stay folded so long. No judgement - I’ve done that to some of mine. I’ve also carefully washed a WWII harness that was filthy. I’m glad I did but was careful and didn’t scrub it like it appears was done to the one for sale. That one might have even been bleached.
JMO,
Dave

Edward

I’d say so and pretty much assures it can’t be improved upon even if now cleaned more correctly. There’s just something about the weave of the cotton that along with embedded dirt, movement, and time will cause internal abrasion and damage to the fibers. Then once you wash it the fibers swell, move around, and show their damage by fraying. That’s my interpretation anyway. The same happens when the hippsters don’t wash their jeans for several years. They end up soon finding holes in the crotch and sometimes where the cuffs stay folded so long. No judgement - I’ve done that to some of mine. I’ve also carefully washed a WWII harness that was filthy. I’m glad I did but was careful and didn’t scrub it like it appears was done to the one for sale. That one might have even been bleached.
JMO,
Dave
yikes!!!! its too bad. people need to realize that the stains, dirt and yellowing is part of the charm and the hallmark of being vintage original. I would never try to clean up my vintage stuff. if it came with filth and tarnish then filth and tarnished it stays. lol! now dust and a bit of dead mold on leather can be wiped gently but certainly washing canvas and webbing would be a bad idea. not sure even dry cleaning is a good idea for something 76 years old.