• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAAF Greenland Patches 1941 - 1950

Schmauder

Since I'm a big fan of Greenland and having visited three former airfields (Bluie West One, Bluie East Two and DYE-4), I'm looking for patches to put on my B-10. So far I only could identify a few patches regarding the time between 1941 and 1950 (I know 1950 may ne a bit late for a B-10). I got in contact with the Air Force History Office and they sent me a list of all USAAF and USAF units stationed in Greenland this time, but I couldn't find any more patches. Does anyone have more patches which he would share as an information? It would be greatly appreciated!

Patches I already found:
77fc3e900.jpg
1stArcticSearchrescue-600.jpg

Greenland-Base-Command-Patch-WWII-US-Army-P5673.jpg

781a93900.jpg

Otter

Love that first patch !

May I recommended the book Fate Is The Hunter. If you haven't read it, it has a lot about early transport routes through Greenland, especially Bluie West 1.

Schmauder

Thanks for the recommendation, otter, bought it! Will have to wait until weekend to read it fully, but the first pages are already very promising!

Otter

Have fun ! He had a slightly old fashioned but get lyrical way of writing, sucks you in and you can imagine sitting in the seat beside him. One passage about flying through heavy hail always sticks out in my mind.

Edit: you might also enjoy Wings on my Sleeve, Eric Brown. A very dissembling man, the antithesis of Chuck Yeager. He still holds the records for most aircraft types flown and most carrier landings. He was a Fleet Air Arm pilot, then at RAE Farnborough flying captured aircraft and new development projects. If you have trouble getting a copy on your side of the pond let me know, I will send you across my copy.

Last edited: