• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAAF (Bill Kelso Dubow 27798) vs Luftwaffe ("Hartmann" French cyclist jacket)

Kermit3D

Since a few days, an aerial battle has been taking place in my wardrobe. I just received my first A-2 jacket ! It finally cohabits very well with my cycling jacket...

I was thinking that it could be interesting to make a little comparison between these two jackets, which fought against each other, on the back of their respective pilots, during World War II.

I own a superb French cycling jacket (that Pilot sells) since a few months that I wear as much as I can.
What struck me when I received the A-2 jacket (Bill Kelso Dubow 27798) is that these two jackets are really VERY different.

• The "Luftwaffe" French cyclist jacket (sold by Pilot):

The cyclist jacket is a beautiful civilian jacket that was very fashionable in the 1930s and 1940s. It was worn, as a private purchase, by many Luftwaffe pilots. It was also very popular with French partisans and resistance fighters.
It is sophisticated, delicate, sleek, sporty, chic,... it is in my opinion a masterpiece of design.
The leather is supple, relatively thin, rather soft but not lacking in character. The color is a deep brown rather shiny.
I think this jacket was designed to be beautiful rather than practical. The comfort is good but the movements are quite limited. As soon as I raise my arms, the waist goes up to the bottom of the ribs.
It is clearly a summer jacket. Do not expect to wear it (for a long time) in temperatures below 10°C despite the wool lining.
To sum up, it is an incredible jacket, very rare, which for me has no equivalent. Its history is very rich and I find it interesting that it has been worn by German pilots and French Partisans.
So it doesn't matter... I've learned not to raise my arms anymore and to tuck the sweater into my pants... but I really LOVE this jacket.

montage_03.jpg

• The USAAF type A-2 jacket (Bill Kelso Dubow 27798)

Here is the last one. It arrived a few days ago (thanks Brett ;)).
It's the first time I wore an A-2 ! This jacket is very different from the cyclist jacket !
The style is mythical and timeless. Both "casual" and "classy". The "pilot" look is inimitable.
The leather (Liberty Seal) is magnificent. It is thicker and "stiffer". It feels like a protective shell (not unpleasant), almost like a modern motorcycle jacket. I imagine that the leather will soften as you wear it.
The color is a beautiful chocolate brown very close to some of the original ones. Very well matching the knits.
I can't wait to see how the leather will take on a patina...
It is also a summer jacket, but this A-2 looks strangely warmer than the cycling jacket. Maybe it's because of the thick leather and the knits?
Comfort is decent (I can raise my arms !).
To sum up, this jacket is an excellent surprise, much better than I expected. It may be easier to wear on a daily basis, but it's probably also less distinctive than the cyclist jacket.
I love it for its look, its quality and its history !

montage_LD.jpg

Some detailed photos :

DSC_0080.jpg
15.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg
19.jpg

Last edited:

Enigma1938

I would love to, but I haven't found a nice model.
There is the one sold by Connection Knitwear, but if you look closer, it's not very precise and I don't like the artificial patina.

But they have the exact same model in unaged blue too. You have to scroll through the pics.
But oh boy.... 1200 bucks... again...

Attachments

• Kanalblue1.jpg
    Kanalblue1.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 192

Kermit3D

But they have the exact same model in unaged blue too. You have to scroll through the pics.
But oh boy.... 1200 bucks... again...

It's true that the blue one is beautiful too.
But for 1200 euros (again :D), I'm not sure that the quality is really excellent. When you compare details with a real one, you quickly realize that there are a lot of differences.
Pilot's Reichs defence jackets would also be an option ;)

I'm sure the quality will be excellent and as authentic as possible ... but I don't like the design of this jacket. :rolleyes:

Kermit3D

Well, you've got one German/French Resistance jacket and one American jacket. Why not get an Irvin for your winter jacket and round out the collection with a British jacket?

The irvin is a mythical jacket. And just for that, it attracts me.
But... I don't know how to explain it in English. Something disturbs me in the shape of this jacket. It's like a Santa Claus that was blown up with pressurized air...
But strangely I'm always happy to see some on the forum and I always think : Wow, an Irvin! :D

mulceber

That's fair - we all have jackets that don't do it for us, for whatever reason.

Last edited: