• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US WWII Glider Pilots & A-2s pics

Brettafett

Stumbled upon these, randomly, as one does. Thought it interesting, especially regarding the fit.
436_0153.jpg

346_0043.jpg

436_0035.jpg

436_0024.jpg

B-Man2

Great photos Bretta !
As was the case, with most of the issued A2’s, the fit was all over the place . Particularly with the photos of the guys wearing jackets that look to large on them, even-though they are wearing a full uniform shirt and tie under them and may even be wearing a layer of long underwear or a sweater as well .

Brettafett

Yeah, now for some fun, any guesses as to contracts lol
Impossible to say... I know, but second pic down, Id say Aero left, RW right
third pic down, maybe a couple of RWs
Last pic, Monarch on right

Smithy

Good comfortable fits - if you have to get out of one of those bad boys quickly I wouldn't be wanting a skin tight jacket either ;-)

But seriously those gliders had no heating and although they didn't fly at high altitudes it would be damn chilly and draughty in there. I bet those boys were wearing thermals/woollen undergarments as well as their normal dress under those A-2 when flying combat missions.

The more I've been interested in A-2s the more I like a comfortable fit rather than the not very utilitarian trim fit (which looks great when you're standing still with your arms down but is bloody hopeless if you actually move in the damn thing).