• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US Wings Army 2020 A-2

Ed Rooney

Hot off the presses, US Wings’ ARMY A-2 jacket, to complement the new pinks and greens class A uniform:

It will be authorized for Aviation, possibly Airborne. It looks like the USAF jacket, but in cowhide, which should look a hell of a lot better than the goatskin.

ausreenactor

Pinks and Greens are for the Army... Army aviators have to wear armour. Not sure they will get Army endorsement.

Technonut2112

Is that supposed to be a new issue item for the Air Force ?

From what is stated, the Army:

Fast-forward to 2020: For the first time in more than seven decades, the A-2 “Bomber” Jacket will make its triumphant return to active duty to the US Army and will become an officially issued jacket once again! For authorized personnel, the A-2 will be an option to go along with the Army’s new WWII-styled service uniforms, which will roll out to all soldiers beginning in 2020. US Wings, who is already an official supplier to the US Military, will also be one of the suppliers of this jacket to the US Army.

Good God, I'm already having a difficult time getting to sleep tonight, and now I'm bound to have nightmares of entire divisions marching around in these cheap-looking mall jackets..... :eek:

Ed Rooney

It would be an optional itemlike the black sweater or jacket back in the 80’s.

The oddball thing is that the Army wears nomex camo instead of flight suits, so there is no way this would ever be worn flying.

Since this is cowhide, I think you’ll see some soldiers buying quality HH reproductions.

Skyhawk

From what is stated, the Army:

Good God, I'm already having a difficult time getting to sleep tonight, and now I'm bound to have nightmares of entire divisions marching around in these cheap-looking mall jackets..... :eek:
It says "Authorized personnel" so that would be aircrew not general ARMY. I don't think it means leather clad units marching in.

DiamondDave

Basically the New Spec Air Force A-2 with an inside pen pocket. Not an attractive design really.
That hide looks like nothing special....

-Jay

collar is HUGE, leather is boring, pocket flaps are odd. Likely the zipper is YKK standard with the plastic crap on the end of nylon tape. Also of note, the 4” waistband and tab configuration up front, really cheapens the look, and the bulbous sleeve ends are laughable. I’m not sure a decked-out para could make this garbage bag look good.

PASS
DD

Ed Rooney

The current issue, Berry-compliant Cockpit A-2s are hefty bags with Velcro. This jacket looks like it will be much better. That said, I really don’t think the post 2000 USAF design should be called an A-2. It’s just a different jacket. Call it an A-3 or whatever.

I predict these will be popular in the Pentagon. The Army guys there are the only ones without leather jackets.

ButteMT61

There are many pilots now I see in airports wearing similar "flight jackets". Look 100% company-issued to look like old A-2's, but in black, blousy cuts and very unappealing leather (IMO).
Kinda takes away from what the 3/4 stripe folks have earned...

colekwok

I think these blousy, MC Hammer style jackets with ultra wide arm holes is actually an American thing. (apologies to the fellow Americans here). I can even see the pear shape cut to accommodate extra room for your beer bellies when you zip your jacket. It looks to me that they are design by/for the top brass who are in their mid-50s' sitting comfortably in their air-conditioned 'war-rooms',

Ed Rooney

Styles were much more blousy and loose when the 1987 and 2000 redesigns were done, plus they were done by the Air Force. It’s well-known that the USAF makes terrible choices when it comes to uniforms. The two best decisions they ever made were to adopt Army uniforms (BDU and OCP).

silvio76

The current issue, Berry-compliant Cockpit A-2s are hefty bags with Velcro. This jacket looks like it will be much better. That said, I really don’t think the post 2000 USAF design should be called an A-2. It’s just a different jacket. Call it an A-3 or whatever.

I predict these will be popular in the Pentagon. The Army guys there are the only ones without leather jackets.
Todays supplier of A-2 jacket is Excelled, contract 2013. They are also suppliers for G-1 jacket, contract 2015. Cockpit had contract 2007.

B-Man2

Here’s a thought..... 75 years from now will a bunch of people like us be sitting around their devices (whatever they may be) debating the pros and cons of these jackets and which repro maker manufactures the best version ??? :D

foster

Here’s a thought..... 75 years from now will a bunch of people like us be sitting around their devices (whatever they may be) debating the pros and cons of these jackets and which repro maker manufactures the best version ??? :D

I cannot imagine such a world, but stranger things have happened before, I'm sure!