• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US Wings Army 2020 A-2

Ed Rooney

Here’s a thought..... 75 years from now will a bunch of people like us be sitting around their devices (whatever they may be) debating the pros and cons of these jackets and which repro maker manufactures the best version ??? :D

Most definitely. You see it a bit now. companies are making repros of really mundane things like the 1970’s green Army shirts or field jackets. I was shocked to read discussions about the old Army CVC tanker jacket.

Skyhawk

Here’s a thought..... 75 years from now will a bunch of people like us be sitting around their devices (whatever they may be) debating the pros and cons of these jackets and which repro maker manufactures the best version ??? :D
I doubt it..... I think I just threw up a little in the back of my mouth. :p

B-Man2

Ohhhh Man ...... I didn’t notice it before .. but ... look at the price they want for this thing!!! $469.00 to $ 529.99... That’s sick!!

Smithy

no-sir-idont-like-it-imgflip-com-32295951.png

colekwok

I doubt it..... I think I just threw up a little in the back of my mouth. :p

To add to your disgust... The future repro manufacturers may actually want to product 'period accurate' pattern down to the use of 'chrome tan' cowhide sourced somewhere from south America to achieve that 'plasticky' authentic look with little creases after breaking in. Velcro patches will still be optional though. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Ed Rooney

To add to your disgust... The future repro manufacturers may actually want to product 'period accurate' pattern down to the use of 'chrome tan' cowhide sourced somewhere from south America to achieve that 'plasticky' authentic look with little creases after breaking in. Velcro patches will still be optional though. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

savvy collectors will demand Isratek nomex jackets that unravel in the first wash.

2BM2K

Just browsing through the US Wings website and came across the Limited WW2 A2 jacket.

The blurb states;
Made from a recently discovered supply of mid-1940s vintage russet brown cowhide leather, the same type of cowhide used in WWII A-2s.

Is this even possible?
If so what a waste!

Brettafett

This is exactly that situation where, if this was in fact the case, they should make a special edition WW2 original-maker contract A-2... This is indeed a waste if true.

B-Man2

Well.....,,, uhhhh... 75 year old leather ... hmmm ... no I’m having problems with this one . I’m throwing the BS flag..
I will say from that photo it drapes nicely;)

ok I just re read the listing it states

“Our Signature Series™ Limited WWII Cowhide A-2 Bomber Jacket is a Limited Edition A-2! Made from a recently discovered supply of mid-1940s vintage russet brown cowhide leather, the same type of cowhide used in WWII A-2s. Horsehide was the original spec leather, many WWII A-2s were produced in cowhide and even goatskin by various manufacturers. Made in the USA.”

I guess the part where it states ‘ The same type of cow hide used in WWII A2s’
Is the muddy part of this . I mean cow hide processed 75 years ago vs yesterday is the same type isn’t it?
just thinking out loud here.

Last edited:

Brettafett

Sounds a bit Indiana Jones... Recently Discovered in an old warehouse, under the wing of a canvas-covered P-40, lost to the world on some backlot for 70 odd years...

silvio76

Well.....,,, uhhhh... 75 year old leather ... hmmm ... no I’m having problems with this one . I’m throwing the BS flag..

“Our Signature Series™ Limited WWII Cowhide A-2 Bomber Jacket is a Limited Edition A-2! Made from a recently discovered supply of mid-1940s vintage russet brown cowhide leather, the same type of cowhide used in WWII A-2s. Horsehide was the original spec leather, many WWII A-2s were produced in cowhide and even goatskin by various manufacturers. Made in the USA.”

Is the muddy part of this . I mean cow hide processed 75 years ago vs yesterday is the same type isn’t it?
This is better than claims of BK.

Brettafett

Unfortunately they are using it to make US Wings signature 'bomber' A-2s.... And the people who buys these probably have no clue about types of leather or care about authentic detailing... they missed a beat here.
Someone posted previously - These companies already have the infrastructure and set-up. Decide on a WW2 contract, procure or borrow an original or three of the same contract, copy the pattern and details, and make a limited edition original maker jacket. Your big 'point of difference' would be using hide from the mid 1940s... Pity one of the top-tier makers did not 'discover' this hide... That would be something special indeed.

B-Man2

I agree with you completely Brett, and that’s why I think there’s something at play here. I mean with all of the top tier makers out there, no one who actually makes authentic contract driven A2 jackets like ELC, GW, Aero, BK or JA DuBow ( did I miss any?) has heard about this stock pile of WWII jacket leather?
Either this was the most closely guarded secret since the “Manhattan Project” or we are being spoon fed some bad porridge here.
Cheers

Skyhawk

I think you are right. A deceiving play on words. I think they are naming it "
"Mid-1940s Vintage Russet Brown" cowhide leather. It is not actually from the 1940's.
-Jay