• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US Navy watch cap advice

Gio80

I am looking for WWII US Navy replica stencilled watch cap. I saw BR has.

Does ELC stecil on their watch caps?
If I'd go with BR, I might have the chance to customize the stencil?

Gio

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Hi @Gio80

Unfortunately, I don’t think they offer customization option. BR offers stenciled ones on their page but only from a couple preset options. Perhaps the best option for you is getting a plain one and customize yourself. Another good option is Papa Nui Cap, perhaps they can do a customization..

http://instagr.am/p/CCz1l1ADyYc/
I have this BR stenciled, works good but it would be cool if you could customize it! :cool:
5EB72C6A-EA00-4E92-9E95-C46F4450F851.jpeg

Gio80

Thanks Jorge,
I will try to customize it. I'd like to make the USS ENTERPRISE CV-6 watch cap.
What did the sailors usually print on it? Their sevice number only or the name of the ship too?

About plain cap, I already have one, is a US Navy current issued cap. For me, the modern watch caps have not the same nice trim like the WWII era ones, isn't it? :)

Between ELC end BR, what's the choice?

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Grant

I know I'm a nerd, but the pointy crown and side seam of the Buzz watch cap always bugged me. For comparison, below is a Buzz and a couple of originals. BTW, most sailors wore them folded over so the name/rate tag was on the inside (last pic). I don't own one, but would be curious to see what the MASH watch cap looks like.

BUZZ
CAPB.jpg

ORIGINAL 1
CAPO1.jpg

ORIGINAL 2
CAPO2.jpg
CAPO3.jpg

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

The BR is the only one I have owned, so I couldn’t tell which one is better, I admit that BRs’ are a bit pointy. Perhaps someone here owns a ELC to compare. Also both are on the same price range...

I have only seen originals with name and service numbers, but I’m sure there must be tons of variations.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Only have an ELC A-4 cap. It is light but details and label are good.... Some might prefer a synthetic offering for durability, if details aren't paramount.

Gio80

I know I'm a nerd, but the pointy crown and side seam of the Buzz watch cap always bugged me. For comparison, below is a Buzz and a couple of originals. BTW, most sailors wore them folded over so the name/rate tag was on the inside (last pic). I don't own one, but would be curious to see what the MASH watch cap looks like.

Grant, the MASH watch cap looks great, very close to the ORIGINAL 2 pic which you posted.

About your originals caps, the first one looks short then the second one. Did the watch caps have different lengths?
From pics, ELC and BZ look short too, compared to the MASH one.

Gio80

I never saw this web site, I found it out around on web, anyone knows it? They make it in different colors too...

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

I had a Pike Brothers watch cap, annoyingly ‘sticky-up’ pointy crown, and also extremely tight on my admittedly fairly large bonce, which no amount of stretching would alleviate. I eventually ended up with a Buzz Rickson William Gibson A-4, which looks pretty much the same as a watch cap, and I like it a lot more.

Thomas Koehle

I own a stencilled BR and a olive and blue one made by BRONSON like Cocker - even though price wise a huge different but quality ain‘t that far from each other

Go for a Bronson!

Never seen originals stencilled and I can imagine it is hard to do on wool. BR use a kinda „rubber-like“ paint ...

Leave it plain - it is simply more period correct

Greg Gale

I have a Bronson and a current issue I bought from fleebay. I prefer the latter. The Bronson is "hard folded" not sure how to say this. So if you want to change where it folds back, you can't because the original fold will remain there. Whereas with the current cap you can fold it to your heart's content.

Gio80

Never seen originals stencilled and I can imagine it is hard to do on wool. BR use a kinda „rubber-like“ paint ...

Leave it plain - it is simply more period correct
Usually screen printing's water colors are rubber-like and thick on cotton fabbrics, I can imagine on wool.
Yes, I'll probably leave it plain, I agree, it looks more period correct :)

I have a Bronson and a current issue I bought from fleebay. I prefer the latter. The Bronson is "hard folded" not sure how to say this. So if you want to change where it folds back, you can't because the original fold will remain there. Whereas with the current cap you can fold it to your heart's content.

I had two current issued, the first (which I lost) was thin and on the lable was written MADE IN USA. The second one (in the above pics) it's really thick, I am not sure how to say, but as it was folded twice on itself, (like two layers) and on lable is printed the contract number.
Both are 100% wool and I like them. They just looks a bit short then WWII era. Are they? I can't flap it twice.

Do the watch caps usually have differents lengths? The secondo original cap of Grant (pic above), looks longer then the first one...may be it's just the photos effect. :)

Grant

Yes, they do come in different lengths, although the longer one posted is rather unusual. I'm sure numerous knitting mills supplied them during the war.