• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US Navy GOB Sweaters

ZuZu

I don't know why they're called GOB sweaters. I have about 5 of them and I've had one one way or another since the 70s. Favorite sweater. I have 2 Bronson offerings- one a classic GOB which unfortunately has US Navy across the front and one a copy of an older 1930s sweater. They are both very high quality- 80% wool, 20% nylon. I have a 90s one I wear all the time and I have an original from the 40s or 50s which has amazing wool and knitting but tiny 19" arms unfortuantely. My daily wearer is a 90s sweater which is thin but has a cool dark blue color- not black like many 90s GOBs.

A great sweater all 'round; I think it's meant to be worn underneath garments so it's form fitting. The classic commando or spy sweater.

First- a comparison of the 90s sweater put on top of the 50s sweater- you can see the thicker weave on the old one:

20230209_100809.jpg

Next the Bronson GOB:

20230209_101030.jpg

20230209_101042.jpg

and finally the Bronson 30s sweater:

20230209_101259.jpg

I'll sell the Bronsons if anyone wants them...

nagmashdriver

I have two of the late Jeff Warner's "US Navy Uniforms" series (of seven, I believe) and nowhere did I ever see the word or acronym of "GOB". This is in addition to the many other, lesser works on USN uniforms. If you ever find out what it is, if at all, please update your post!

JonnyCrow

Over here "shut ya gob" meaning "stop talking" is less than polite slang phraseology sometimes employed by certain rough common types during an argument or when squaring up to one another prior to a bout of fisticuffs.

;)
Haha growing up in Hull ' you've a right gob on ya ' ;)